2 replies to this topic

#1 kraft2000

kraft2000

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

Hello,

I'm building currently my first SLR equipment for UW ( with olympus OMD EM5 ), and I think I'm done with the camera, housing gears and ports.

I have a few concern about the choice of strobes and lights ...

I'm planning to shoot as much photos as videos, but I just figured out that we have to make a choice concerning the strobes :

- either strobes for still images, and I'm thinking about S&S YS-D1

- either video lights, or focus light for videos and there are the Sola 1200 ou 2000 that seems to be quite good.

is there any strobes that would be good for both ? should I wait for one to be released ?

anybody tried video light for still images ? is it powerful enough ?

what do you think of a package like this one for example http://www.opticaloc...m5-package.html

Thanks a lot ! 

#2 billmackbarnes

billmackbarnes

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Many of our group use DUAL Inon D2000, but the S2000 seems to be smaller with the same light output.

The 240 has twice the light output. Both stobes need to be the same model or one will cause shadows.

You need two strobes to light both sides of your subject, eliminate shadows, and minimize back scatter.

Adding a Sola photo 600 or 800 as a focusing light really helped in low light conditions.

The built in light on the D2000 is worthless because we never point our strobes directly at the subject to minimize back scatter.

The Solar 1200 or 2000 would be good for video, but you will want at least two.

You need two lights to light both sides of your subject, eliminate shadows, and minimize back scatter.

I even see some people using three. Loclines seems to work well.

No cheap solutions, but the quality of the photos really increased when I spent the money well.

Bill

#3 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

Take a look at these new lights.  I use the discontiued 800 for focus light & have been very satisfied with quality & performance.  The prices are far less than other popular options.

http://www.laluzopti...m/products.html

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's