• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hi, I have been shooting video for the last couple of years with a GH2 in a Nauticam housing.
I'm looking at moving over to the darkside and shooting some stills on my next trip. I am looking for recommendations on which strobes to use. I want to purchase something that im going to be able to use when I upgrade my camera in the next 18 months/2 years.

Where I'm completely up to speed with video equipment, I know nothing about stills. Just looking for a push in the right direction from you guys...

#2 dpaustex

dpaustex

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Scuba. Photography. Mountains.

What else is there?

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Video, only?

Look at the Canon 7D. Shoots 18MP stills AND autofocus video, with their special lenses (can buy in a kit).  You can buy a starter kit for around $1300 (plus housing).

If you're shooting strobes AND video, not sure there is the perfect combo. Ikelite makes the DS 161, which has both, but I do not use mine much for true video (you'd need two).

Whatever you go with on housings, remember the housings are not upgradeable, when the "next best" camera model comes out. The ports can be used on a new housing, but the main housing cannot.

#3 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Far better to have dedicated video lights and dedicated strobes. As you are currently using the Nauticam housing system

and probably going to upgrade within that same housing brand? Then I'd suggest the Inon Z240 strobes as a solid option

or possibly the Sea & Sea YS-01 if you want your rig to be a bit more compact and will focus mainly on macro imaging.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

Inon z240 are the most compatible strobes if you ever change camera. Sea and sea YS-d1 are also very strong and have fibre and electric connection. I have just bought two z240 as am doing exactly the same as you going back to stills for one or two trips

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 Overexposed Seahorse

Overexposed Seahorse

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hi, If you are going to have an ikelite housing when you upgrade your camera, then Ikelite strobes such as the DS 161/160 are worth looking at as they will do complete TTL in an Ikelite housing. However otherwise Sea and Sea strobes and Inon are generally better. More powerful strobes have a higher guide number which can be seen from the specs. Inon Z240s are good, although quite expensive and I find them more complex than Sea and Sea strobes to use. The Sea and Sea YS-D1 is a good strobe with a guide number of up to 32 without a diffuser. If you have a slightly lower budget then I'd look at a YS-01 as they are TTL compatible with a range of cameras (see here:http://www.seaandsea...itychart/a.html) and have a good price for their features.