Photo
- - - - -

Ikelite DS-161 - How does it work for video?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 larrym

larrym

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

I'm new to video.  But I'm upgrading my 60D to the 70D, and would like to try shooting some video along with stills.  The DS161 has lighting for both.  But how well does the video lighting actually perform? I see it has a 45 degree span for video, which isn't much; so I would expect to have 2 lights.  It also weights 2.5 lbs, which is a lot to travel with.  Is it enough light?  Are you limited to distance, lens width, or color temperature?  Any feedback would be helpful.  Thanks.

#2 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:48 AM

Larry simple answer.........No.

The Ikelite Ds161 movie "video" lights are underpowered and dont have enough width in their beam.  The output of the LED "movie" light is 500lumens and is only really suitable for a focusing light for macro stills or possibly macro video. I use two iTorch video pro 6 video lights with my Ikelite Ds161's as they have 2400 lumens, red, and UQ light outputs.  I would personally buy the DS160 and used the saved money towards a pair of good video lights instead. 

If your doing alot of travelling the Ikelites can be a pain but I prefer them for shooting wideangle which is what I mostly do. On the other hand if your travelling alot and shooting macro I suggest you have a look at the Inon z240 as they are cheaper and much lighter strobe and more suited for macro work. The money you save on the inon's can go towards again a set of good video lights.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards Mark

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#3 larrym

larrym

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Thanks!   That gives me some direction. I guess I was attracted to the "one light does everything" feature.  I'm skeptical that it may turn out the same way with the "one camera does it all" of the 70D. 

#4 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

Yes all they have to do at Ikelite is throw in something like what I have with the I-Troch video pro 6 into their DS161 and they will have an awesome strobe which could be classed then as "one light does everything". But I sent them a whole heap of recommendations several years ago like the 4 port clips for their housings, LED modeling lights for their strobes, Li-Ion batteries for their strobes and the comment I recieved back from Ikelite was "We have been doing this for 20 years blah blah blah".........funny now since they are now standard.

Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/