Triple strobes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

I will be trying a new W/A strobe setup on my upcoming trip to Palau. I have switched from dual Ikelite DS161's to triple Sea&Sea YS-D1's. 2 of the strobes will be on 20" arms and one will be mounted in a "modeling light" position but angled upward to minimize backscatter. I plan to use the 100 degree diffusers. I am looking for input about my intended strobe set-up. I will be using a 9.25" megadome with a 16mm fisheye and 16-35 zoom on a D800
Thanks, Doug

Edited by diverdoug1, 02 December 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#2 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World. The Sciences

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

I think you are still going to suffer with backscatter from that central strobe.....especially here the water has a lot of particulates.

Richard

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#3 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:43 AM

I agree. Were you not getting the coverage you wanted with the 161s?

#4 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

Coverage with the 161's was adequate, but travel weight with back up strobes and extra proprietary batteries was heavy.  If backscatter proves to be problematic with the central strobe angled upward, I might add an 8" arm.  when I shot the fisheye with the 161's I had them right next to and slightly rearward of the dome, facing outward (in a similar orientation to the central strobe now) with no backscatter issues.  When shooting dual strobes, I found this the best compromise with a 180 degree fisheye to avoid strobe flare and backscatter, while still getting some illumination directly forward of the dome.

Edited by diverdoug1, 03 December 2013 - 08:20 AM.