• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kevindale222

Kevindale222

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

Hi. Can anyone recommend the best video settings for the olympus epl-3. Can't seem to get very watchable footage.

Thanks.

#2 Overexposed Seahorse

Overexposed Seahorse

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hi, I have an E-pl3, but only do a little bit of video. What do you think makes it not very watchable?

#3 Kevindale222

Kevindale222

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:13 AM

It seems a bit jelly like. It most prob is me. Not sure if turnin IS will help at all. Wat have you found with experience?

Thanks a lot.

#4 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

Yes, turn off all IS on video - its a software based IS - not sensor based - so will give you the horrid jello effect.

Which lens are you using? I was using the 9-18mm (with a Zen dome) and I found the video very soft - even in f5/6 and higher.

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#5 Overexposed Seahorse

Overexposed Seahorse

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

With the 14-42 lens, I use manual mode with a shutter speed of 40 and aperture of F6.3, although I never really bother to change this. I actually leave image stabilisation set to IS-1 and I haven't really noticed a problem with this - footage is a lot more watchable than with my other P&S camera. Other than that, C-AF, Fine 1080HD.. and thats about all that you can change!

#6 Kevindale222

Kevindale222

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

Trickster I have recently purchased the 9-18mm can you explain what you mean by soft? I will try will IS off and see if this helps.

Thanks seahorse. Wil have a go with playin with manual mode also.

#7 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

Hi Kevin,

The 9-18mm above water I found good for photo and video - so I think the lens itself is good. But for me using it with the Zen dome (with AF) I found it very soft. I think perhaps I didn't give it enough time, for me to dial in the settings (there might be a sweet spot for this lens! I don't know - I just moved to a GoPro3 which I found easier to work with (for all the personal stuff I was doing)

As a still camera, its one of the best I've used (for what you get for the money) - I've seen some amazing results with it.

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#8 Kevindale222

Kevindale222

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Thanks mate. Mayb I'll leave the 9-18mm for video or experiment with it. How do you find the 9-18mm for stills. I have just bought the lens and zen dome and hoping to dive with it for first time this week. :). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.