Photo
- - - - -

Nikon D7100 for beach shooting good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skyeg3

skyeg3

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

I really want to get into shooting my friends surfing from the beach and I am just curious about what camera to buy. The camera I am leaning towards now is the Nikon D7100 basically because I did an Internet search for cameras that could shoot full HD at 60 fps and this camera popped up. I was leaning towards the Canon 7D prior to that which can shoot at 60fps but only at 720p. 60fps is important to me because I really like to do slow-motion but what I'm really wondering about is if the full HD aspect of it all is really that important. The compositions I make will most likely end up on vimeo and YouTube where I'm sure they will be compressed down to less than stunning quality anyhow.  Actually videos on Facebook usually end up playing at about 480p. So I guess the argument for full HD becomes that you could shoot a bigger area and then have more room for cropping down in post production.
 What do you guys think? Is being able to shoot in full HD at 60 frames per second something that is essential? Nice? Totally useless? Do you have any other camera suggestions?  Thanks for any comments or help you can give me.

#2 Leonardding

Leonardding

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

I find that you are purchasing for video shooting. In fact, any DSLRs in the same price range with D7100 can do a good job, like Canon 70D . The things you need to care about is the lens (an IS lens  will help you a lot if you don't want to take a tripod) and other accessories like a simple waterproof case.

#3 TomUK

TomUK

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Cant go wrong with a Nikon! ;)

The d7100 is a lovely little camera. Not a massive film shooter myself, but I would advocate you buy yourself a nice long lens, 300mm f4 plus a decent tripod. I would also as above recommend a Thinktank Hydrophobia. They are expensive, but well worth the cash! And with a  decent tripod you will be well away!

Profesional Photographer on land........ gibbering wreck underwater.

#4 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:45 AM

Is 60p a particular look that you want to go for, or are you just equating it to being slow mo and thinking that it would probably look good? Personally I would have said you'd want something around the 120/240fps mark to do slow mo any justice for something like surfing...

Do you want to shoot stills as well? If it's purely about video, then I'd suggest looking at a video camera, you'll find it easier to use. There are quite a few super 35mm cameras hitting the market if that's the look you're after, and a whole plethora of 2/3" sensor cameras if not.
Visit bottlefish.net for my personal web site.
Visit Black Flag TV Ltd if you'd like to hire me or any of our cameras.

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:01 AM

I agree with bottlefish,

DSLR cameras can record higher quality films as usual cosumer and prosumer video cams,

but for sport or fast moving scenes a prosumer HD videocamer is far better.
One reason for that is the the Autofocus of a DSLR is far more specialized for video applications than a DSLR autofocus system.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website