17 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo

Nemo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 04:07 AM

Does anyone know of any Dig UW courses being taught online? Since the medium is perfect for email it would seem to be a good match for a interactive course. Insructor could post assignments based on class material and then critique work that is sent in.

Not quite a livaboard type course but better than a one day seminar where the instructor never sees the students work.
Nemo - D70 + 17-55mm, 70 - 200 VR, 35 f2, 10.5, Sigma 15, 60 Macro, Nexus D70 housing, Optima CCR & more dive gear than the ave. store

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 05:42 AM

What do you think the demand would be for a course like this? 10 people? 30 people?

I have organized and run (and I'm running one right now) a series of online courses in Marine Biology through the website:

www.reefs.org/maco

The courses consist of weekly "lectures" for the students to download, twice weekly online chat "discussion sections" and weekly quizzes.

I have considered organizing an online UW digital course, and I think it would be worthwhile and fun, provided there is enough interest.

Cheers
James Wiseman

[Edited on 1-21-2002 by jamesw]
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 SThompson

SThompson

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 09:10 AM

I'd certainly be interested in an online course. I've very recently purchased a digital camera and underwater housing and would like to understand how it differs from 35mm UW techniques and how best to take advantage of the technology.

#4 Nemo

Nemo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 03:34 PM

James,

Im not sure what the interest will be, but this might be just the forum to find out. The only other course I have found is by Marty Snyderman and it is a film course. It is not interactive so it really isnt anymore informative than reading a book. The cost is $50.00. Certainly resonable but of little use.

My sense is that a course that was interactive were the student worked at his own pace would have significant interest. Since most divers dive at irregular intervals a weekly or even biweekly session might be too often to get the in water course work done. Also here in upstate NY in water work is 2 months away. Although file manipulation, archiving etc. are all doable now.

Whoever taught the course would need to demonstrate their credentials too. (nothing personal ;).

Mike
Nemo - D70 + 17-55mm, 70 - 200 VR, 35 f2, 10.5, Sigma 15, 60 Macro, Nexus D70 housing, Optima CCR & more dive gear than the ave. store

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 04:31 PM

Mike:

Yes, credentials are certainly important.

Why don't we get together and talk about it? I'm in Houston too, and I would like to pursue this further.

I'm thinking the course would be taught in modules. Something like:

Intro to Digital Photos
Cameras/Housings
Lighting
File Storage/Media
Photoshop/Software/File Organization

That's just for starters.

Email me or send me a U2U message. Others are invited to participate as well.

Cheers
James Wiseman
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#6 snoack

snoack

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 02:36 PM

Hi James,

sounds good.
Are you talking about free online tutorials or would you charge your students ?
I've been asked to think about writing an online tutorial for digital uw-picture optimizing (not only for photoshop users).
I'd actually like to do that as soon as i've got some spare hours. (Photoshop users, i'll need the names of the english menus and commands, because my interface is german)

Maybe wetpixel is interested to open up a tutorial section ?

Regards - Sabine

#7 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 07:41 AM

This site have a nice tutorial

http://www.daveread.com/uw-photo/
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#8 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 09:12 AM

Hi again,

Here's a quote from that page:

OK, so this page is seriously under construction. I'm going to be developing this section of my site for quite some time to come. So check back here from time to time, and you can watch it grow and develop.

The idea here is to try to create a site for new underwater photographers to use as the basis for learning and/or improving their craft.

As far as I can tell this page will be an instructional page in underwater photography. But what about digital? Obviously some topics will "cross polinate" but certainly digital and film are not the same.

I think what we are talking about here is an online INTERACTIVE course for DIGITAL UW photographers. Something similar to what Marty Snyderman does, but for DIGITAL uw photographers.

Hey Nemo, if you're Dave Read, drop me a line, I'm in Houston too! I was on the Fling for the 2001 Coral Spawning trip. Did you get out this year? I saw your 2000 photos. Fantastic!

Cheers
James Wiseman

[Edited on 1-30-2002 by jamesw]
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#9 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 11:05 AM

. . . software. If a person hasn't entered their town in their profile, the forum will assign them to whatever city the prior post is supposedly from!

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#10 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 11:12 AM

ROFL!!!! It's a plot by the "Republic of Texas" to take over the board! ;)

The online marine biology course that I am currently running will be over in 3 weeks, so if there is interest in a future photo course, let's hash it out now so that we can get geared up.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#11 Nemo

Nemo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 05:56 PM

James,

Sorry I'm not Dave my name is Mike, and I live in Upstate NY. Glad you liked Daves photo's though maybe mine will be as good some day.

Regarding the photo course Im intersted although we wont be getting in the water for about 6 - 8 weeks.

Nemo

#12 Dee

Dee

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 08:37 PM

James...I would be interested in an online class. Your subject module suggestions sound like what I need. I'm just starting with digital and won't be able to use it underwater more than 2-3 times this year, unless the vis gets alot better in Lake Travis!

I think my next biggest hurdle is file storage and management. What to do with all these images and how to find what I want later.

I'd really like a class to learn PhotoShop LE that came with my camera. A very basic 1-2-3 primer and tutorial. Then homework assignment for something to practice on. I've been trying to figure out how to use the stamp tool to clone out some backscatter but I'm just not gettin it! The help files are almost useless. I keep going back to my old PhotoDeluxe program.

I learned to understand alot about photography, especially some of the techinal stuff, from Dave Read's site. It's very easy to understand.

Anyway...I'm very interested in whatever you come up with.

#13 snoack

snoack

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 02:21 PM

Hi Dee,

assuming that Photoshop LE works like Photoshop, simply

- Select the Clone Tool
- Select the size
- Move your cursor to the spot you want to clone (~ copy)
- Press the Key AND click the left mouse button
- Move the cursor over the "target"
- Click the left mouse button (~ paste)

Thats it - Sabine

#14 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 02:48 AM

If people are willing to write them, we'll host them here and put them in the "features" section. We can link them from a special Tutorials forum topic to make them easy to find.

Let me know if anyone is interested in writing. ;)
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#15 Nemo

Nemo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 03:56 AM

Great idea. Could certainly create some traffic at wetpixal and make an economical educational opportunity for everyone.;)

#16 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 06:02 AM

Eric,

While the idea of free FAQ's and tutorials is a good one, most of us just don't have time to write free content for other sites. I know I don't! I only get to post my thoughts and observations here...because I'm at work...;)

I've found that from experience, when it comes to online content...you get what you pay for. So if you don't pay anything...

Any kind of an online class will take major work to put together I can tell you that much from experience, so it would have to be supported by a small fee. That is how my Marine Biology online course is (the money goes to the instructor and the webmaster). We currently have 60 students inrolled in the course and it is in week 12 of 15.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#17 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 11:12 AM

James -

Well... no one pays me or David, and we run this site. ;)

The "small fee" is covered by feeling like we are providing a good resource to others who enjoy underwater photography.

[Edited on 2-7-2002 by echeng]
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#18 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 11:22 AM

Whoops, sorry about that. I wasn't referring to the website Eric - I was talking about running an online course. I think what you and David do for "free" is a tremendous service to us hobbyists.

I know what you mean about "donating" your time to wetpixel. I helped start reefs.org and we grew it from nothing to just over 6 million hits/30 gigs of traffic per month...just out of the "goodness of our hearts" ;)

But for something like an interactive online class that would span many weeks, and require quite a bit of preparation on the part of the instructor(s), I doubt anyone would do it for free.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes