• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:16 AM

Apple's long awaited sexy new Mac Pro is now available for order,  with deliveries in Feb.

For me, it will be a very expensive purchase, since not only will I have to buy a new machine, but also update my SAS/Fiber Channel servers to work with Thunderbolt.  Not sure if it's worth the 10+k just to keep using OSX. :(

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have taken recently one of the new mac book pro's with new Haswell 2.6 Mhz quadcores, Retina and 1 TB SSD, coming with Mavericks. And this after some 30 years of Windows....never want to go back! 

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#3 Vondo

Vondo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

You probably mean "some 20" http://en.wikipedia....iki/Windows_1.0  .   I think if I'd been using Windows exclusively all that time, it'd probably feel like 30 too. :-)

I cannot figure out how to change my link: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Windows_1.0

Edited by Vondo, 19 December 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#4 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

Drew,

How are you thinking of having it configured given you are a video guy?

The six-core version seems popular thus far (Lloyd Chambers & MacRumors blog sites). 4K monitor looks very interesting but very expensive right now, maybe in a couple of years they will be more mainstream and less expensive.

Tom

For me, it will be a very expensive purchase, since not only will I have to buy a new machine, but also update my SAS/Fiber Channel servers to work with Thunderbolt.  Not sure if it's worth the 10+k just to keep using OSX. :(

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#5 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

Whats the view on making a Hackintosh with similar specs - possible / worth it ?

Regards, Richard

---

GH4, Ninja2, 8mm, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 14-42mm PZ, 60mm - all in a Nauticam wrapping, plus a couple of Keldan Video 8M CRI Lights

---

#6 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

It's looking like it will be backordered until February.

My current Mac Pro has three 4TB internal drives plus the 1TB boot drive.   What do I do with these other internal drives? 

"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

Drew,

How are you thinking of having it configured given you are a video guy?

The six-core version seems popular thus far (Lloyd Chambers & MacRumors blog sites). 4K monitor looks very interesting but very expensive right now, maybe in a couple of years they will be more mainstream and less expensive.

Tom

Tom

The problem with setting up a workstation for video nowadays is a lot more complicated with the advent of RAW codecs and how programs handle it.  Adobe production CC throws quite a bit of the processing to GPU (CUDA) for playback(previews) but when it comes time to render in After Effects and Premiere, cores and memory matters.
Photoshop (and I assume Lightroom), Aperture never seem to use more than 50-60% of cores at any time, so clockspeed is more essential.  So 6 cores is the sweetspot as the clockspeed is high with TURBO and there.  So funnily enough, the 12 core will run slower than the 6 core with Photoshop and the various plug-ins which don't utilize more than 4 cores usually.

Anyhow here is my config. I plan to get 64GB RAM from 3rd parties.

Hardware

• 2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache
  • 16GB (4x4GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
  • 1TB PCIe-based flash storage
  • Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Whats the view on making a Hackintosh with similar specs - possible / worth it ?

I would think speccing out a Hackintosh (DISCLAIMER: It's not technically legal!) would mean you can go above the Mac Pro specs.  It's a lot more work though!

It's looking like it will be backordered until February.

My current Mac Pro has three 4TB internal drives plus the 1TB boot drive.   What do I do with these other internal drives? 

You will have to get a Thunderbolt enclosure to house those 3.5" drives.  Drobo, La Cie, Areca, Promise and a few others make Thunderbolt enclosures but Promise's Pegasus series only comes with drives I believe.  I have a Drobo mini with 4x2tb for travel storage but haven't decided how to go about rearranging my SAN connections.  The SANLink from Promise looks good.
Apple has locked buyers with the PCIe flash storage.  It's not easily available from 3rd parties so it's just more convenient to just buy the 1TB for $800 more.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

You will have to get a Thunderbolt enclosure to house those 3.5" drives.  Drobo, La Cie, Areca, Promise and a few others make Thunderbolt enclosures but Promise's Pegasus series only comes with drives I believe.  I have a Drobo mini with 4x2tb for travel storage but haven't decided how to go about rearranging my SAN connections.  The SANLink from Promise looks good.
Apple has locked buyers with the PCIe flash storage.  It's not easily available from 3rd parties so it's just more convenient to just buy the 1TB for $800 more.

You can get the new Pegasus Thunderbolt2 bare and put your drives in. They have been tested and work perfect with the drives out of a current MacPro ( I can post that link if you would like).

http://store.apple.c...system?fnode=5f

Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

Oh Tom, there's also that cheapo 4k monitor from Seiki.  Absolutely useless for 4k editing (allowed up to 30hz only) but when calibrated it was a decent big screen. I tested the 50" but sent it back due to the slow refresh.  The Sharp isn't all that great either for the money.   Check out the Asus 31.5" or the new Dell 24", 28" and 32" 4k.  LG also just announced.

Drew