28 replies to this topic

#21 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

Its a production camera and not really made for run and gun shooting. If I was to go that route I would simply download a days work into resolve adjust WB, exposure and tint and then output to prores. Then delete the raw. Minor tweeks hold up well with prores for the final grading. 

For me the most difficult thing would be to select what glass to use with an EF mount no less. Kind of wish it was a e-mount with a 12mm Zeiss for WA.

Anyone know what the red guys use for the epics?

E.

I know some guys who have been shooting underwater with the Red Epic and the Tokina 11-16mm. It seems to be pretty sharp with a big dome- and I've been happy with it on the 7D. It's better at f8 and beyond. 

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#22 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

I know some guys who have been shooting underwater with the Red Epic and the Tokina 11-16mm. It seems to be pretty sharp with a big dome- and I've been happy with it on the 7D. It's better at f8 and beyond. 

Thanks Ferg,

Yeah I've been thinking that is one of the possibilities. Here up north its highly unlikely you'll get f8 under normal conditions so it would have to be a lens that does a decent image a bit more open. But there aren't to many to choose from. The Tokinas have quite a bit of CA, do you know if they using any software to get rid of it in post? 

Thanks,

Espen

Nikon D4, D3s, D2x, etc etc.. Nauticam housing, Inon z240s, Subtronic Mega Cs and housed Nikon Sb900s...

#23 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

Hi Espen,

The lens itself is pretty good wider open. If you're shooting raw, as I do on the 5D Mark III (with a different lens), it's pretty easy to get rid of CA in post- I just used lightroom, and apply to all frames. 

I'm guessing the Tokina would be best with a 9inch + port, then you could probably use it wider open. Then there are the various fisheye options, but not always an ideal look for video....

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#24 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Regarding RAW vs ProRes, I would strongly suggest keeping the RAW @ 4k, be ruthless with your footage and just buy more HDD's for storage.

I also find the Tokina 11-16 @ 4k useable but at 5K (using the whole S35 sensor) very soft and barely useable on the corners with the Gates 8" dome. The FE's work really well including the 8-15 Canon, 15mm Sigma and also the Tokina 10-17. Personally I am using the Zeiss 15mm and I have to say it is the sharpest lens I have ever used underwater (including the corners) not including the Nikonos 15mm

Edited by jonny shaw, 26 February 2014 - 02:08 PM.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#25 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

Regarding RAW vs ProRes, I would strongly suggest keeping the RAW @ 4k, be ruthless with your footage and just buy more HDD's for storage.

I also find the Tokina 11-16 @ 4k useable but at 5K (using the whole S35 sensor) very soft and barely useable on the corners with the Gates 8" dome. The FE's work really well including the 8-15 Canon, 15mm Sigma and also the Tokina 10-17. Personally I am using the Zeiss 15mm and I have to say it is the sharpest lens I have ever used underwater (including the corners) not including the Nikonos 15mm

Thanks Jonny,

Would that be the distagon Ziess? Canon or nikon mount or one of the pl mount cine primes?

Thanks,

Espen.

Nikon D4, D3s, D2x, etc etc.. Nauticam housing, Inon z240s, Subtronic Mega Cs and housed Nikon Sb900s...

#26 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Espen,

It's the Zeiss 15mm Distagon Canon mount, I believe you can actually get it without the shade, mine has it and it just squeezes in behind the port with extender.

J

www.ginclearfilm.com

#27 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Agreed with Jon. The zeiss 15mm is a superb wide lens. Gates dome is around 8" dia. And extender. Pretty much distortion free corner to corner. Reminds me of the Arri Zeiss Ultra primes. This is a manual focus lens. I got one with ZF mount. And works well not just with the Epic aps-c size sensor but also on my 5d3 with appropriate adapter. It's a full frame sensor lens.

As for nikonos RS lenses my fav. In the r-uw nikkor13mm fe. They don'.t make them like that anymore.

Cheers

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#28 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

As for nikonos RS lenses my fav. In the r-uw nikkor13mm fe. They don'.t make them like that anymore.

Cheers

Cheers guys!

I did see a guy using the Nikonos 15mm on Reds to get good 3d video. Not sure you would be able to get that in front of a BM4k with a EF mount without serious mods if at all. But water contact optics sure would be nice!

E.

#29 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

So many stories about that!

www.ginclearfilm.com