2 replies to this topic

#1 rramaley

rramaley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hi guys,

Was researching diving in Belize and came across mention that if a person has a SLR or larger camera they have to apply for a film permit to photograph / film the whale sharks? Has anyone had any experience with this?  

Seems a bit OTT?

#2 rramaley

rramaley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Just bumping this question here in the hopes someone has some experience to share.  

Has anyone done the Whale Shark (or other diving) with a DSLR or more advanced camera in Belize?  If so, did you have to get a film permit? Any recommendations here?

#3 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:40 AM

I went to Belize a few years ago - we were staying at the Hamanasi Adventure Resort and diving with them.  They offered a blue-water dive supposedly to try to see the whale sharks around the typical snapper spawn timeframe, and made no comment at all about needing a permit.  I had a DSLR rig for general u/w photography that got zero attention on arrival - had dual strobes, wide angle dome port and lens, etc.  But this was back in 2010, so things might have changed.  Dives did have as part of their 'fee' the marine preserve area access permit (something nominal, built into the typical dive costs). 

(BTW, the odds of actually seeing whale sharks on those blue-water dives was pretty slim, especially for our week due to general conditions after a tropical storm cut the vis quite a bit, so we stuck with the atoll and reef dives.)

If you're looking at something more specifically aimed at chasing the whale sharks at a more well known aggregate location, my info might be totally inadequate.  I could see a specific locale having specific rules...

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...