4 replies to this topic

#1 xcetra

xcetra

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

Hi,

My Nauticam NA-EM5 housing's shutter lever doesn't return to it's original position after pressed sometimes.  This more frequently happens when I depress the lever partially (half way to focus).  Inside the housing I've noticed the spring loaded lever that pushes on the camera's shutter button doesn't move smoothly but the external shutter lever is smooth.  Anyone else have this problem?  I was thinking about putting some silicon liquid on the internal lever.  Any recommended silicon that's safe for housing?

I take good care of my housing (rinse, soak after day's diving).

Thanks

Jason

#2 jander4454

jander4454

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:27 AM

I have found the same problem after a lot of use underwater despite long soaks etc.
I adjusted the screw holding the lever return bracket that sits on the left of the lever inside the housing - I did not add silicone. This helped the problem until I could get the housing serviced. 

Sony NEX-5 in Nauticam with Inon D-2000 flashes

#3 xcetra

xcetra

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

jander4454,

Thanks!  This seems to have made the shutter lever smoother and return to it's original position.

Do you know what was done when you got your housing serviced?  Replacement parts?  I'm wondering since loosening the screw seemed to have fixed it.  Will need to dive with it.

Jason

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2053 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Last year I found out that the bearings of the D800 Nauticam housing were swelling in the water. Nauticam replaced them with a new plastic, and the shutter release doesn't stick any more.

#5 xcetra

xcetra

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

tdpriest,

Ah, thanks for the info. After my first "fix" via jander4454's suggestion, the shutter action was again not smooth.  After looking into my housing and playing with a few internal levers, I discovered that the lever with a spring that contacted my camera shutter was too snugly fit on the plastic shaft it rotated around.  The lever still had a hard time rotating even after loosening screw that held the lever onto the shaft.  I then just gently sanded the hole on the lever where the shaft goes in and it now rotates freely.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nauticam, housing, em-5, sticky, button, lever, Olympus, silicon, shutter