• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Timccr

Timccr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

Hope I'm not getting off topic here, but I am trying to work out an edit suite for footage from the Pocket Camera. The MacPro seems like overkill and the problem with an iMac is the sRGB monitor which while fine for editing won't be so good for stills. So I'm now thinking about an HP workstation, so I wouldn't be able to use Final Cut anyway. Media Composer would be great but it is a bit expensive and I don't want to use Adobe's subscription based cloud stuff. Any thoughts or suggestions???

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

If you are looking to shoot and edit in RAW, BM's Resolve is a great color grading program which doubles as a basic editor as well.  SInce you are shooting HD, Resolve Lite is free and a nice program.  However, I believe only the full program has CUDA acceleration via Nvidia cards.  CUDA with Resolve using a 300+ cudacore and 2+GB VRAM is fast.

If you are going to shoot in ProRes, then an iMac is fine.  May I ask why you think sRGB is not good for stills? With the RB channels the same as Adobe 1998, it's only the saturated greens that don't show as well.  With a histogram, there's no risk of clipping the green channel.  REC709 is also fully displayed in sRGB.  With a properly calibrated iMac should do fine, as long as your external array is Thunderbolt.  I have a friend who edits on location using an iMac with a Sonnet chassis and a Red Rocket and RAID via Thunderbolt.  It's faster than a MBP.

I must say most PC workstations look great on value/performance.  There's always that niggly feeling every time a hardware purchase beckons.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Timccr

Timccr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

Thanks Drew. I want a wide gamut monitor for stills because I've tried printing stuff done on both standard and wide gamut monitors and the ones which I did from wide gamut monitors look a bit nicer to me. There isn't a lot of difference but enough to make me think its worth doing. For the video because of the way I am planning to shoot I will be trying to match shots at the same location on different days so think it would be sensible to shoot in RAW. My reasons for looking for an alternative to a MacPro with FCPX are purely financial because this is all out of my own pocket. I think Lightworks looks pretty good and that with perhaps an HP Z420 would be nice and cheaper - well until I buy their really cool consol so I can pretend I'm cutting film again.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Oh I agree that wide gamut monitors are more accurate and look better.  Best of all, they are relatively cheaper nowadays than before.

As for Lightworks, you may want to check if CDNG is supported.  I don't remember it being supported the last time I tried Lightworks 11.5 I dabbled with it over the years and like the timeline and interface, but the media restrictions (now removed with 11.5) were too limiting.  However, I have a friend who swears by it (but is also a AMC/FC editor).

With Resolve lite and Lightworks (freeware), it is a nice little freeware system.  However, like FCX, it's quite different from everything else.  The most important feature for you is .DNG support, unless you don't mind transcoding for all clips.

An iMac would be able to drive such a monitor as a 2nd monitor, which is also a good idea to have as the output monitor for video editing.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Timccr

Timccr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:12 AM

I really appreciate your replies, Drew. I don't think Lightworks does support CDNG yet but for me personally I don't think having to transcode will be a deal breaker and hopefully it will be supported before long.

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Oh and about Resolve Lite 10, DON'T! It's not nearly ready yet! Very buggy!  Find v9.

Drew