Photo
- - - - -

microFT Video WA Options: 12-35mm, 7-14mm or 8mm?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

Looking at options for wreck video with a GH3.

I'm slowly building my GH3 setup and I'm wondering about ponying up for the 7-14mm instead of using the 12-35mm.

I had originally thought that 12mm (at 84' AoV) would be plenty, but I'm having second thoughts...

Both of these lenses can be used behind the 170mm / 7" Zen dome (with extension) but I keep asking myself - is the 12-35mm wide enough?

I also have the 8mm, but this I think will provide a too wide 'look' and I don't want to get into post and defishing it, as I presume I will lose a lot of quality. (plus I would need a 4.33" dome)

Anyone got any videos underwater with the 12-35mm at 12mm???

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#2 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:20 AM

Hi,

this question has been answered several times :)

I think that the 12-35 isn't wide enough. I have both 7-14 and 8mm and I shot mostly wrecks.

Your best option is the 7-14mm.

8mm is nice and I like it's fisheye distortion. The problem is light: with such wide fov it's nearly impossible to cover the entire field. You need very long arms and checking continuosly theyr position on your display. Basically a PITA.

8mm:

(cave part)

7-14mm:

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#3 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

Davide,

Thank you for your response, I had assumed this had been asked before... but thank you for your time in answering :)

Firstly.... STUNNING videos... you got a new vimeo follower...

Your videos have definitely answered my questions and I will be getting the 7-14mm. Shame there is no OIS version!

I shouldn't of purchased the 12-35mm! Live and Learn...

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#4 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:31 AM

Thank you.

Actually the 12/35 it's a nice lens to have for topside shots :)

Byeeee
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#5 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

BTW which setup do you have?

#6 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:44 AM

I haven't dived my GH3 yet, as I'm still waiting for bits for it - and still saving! but all my previous videos has been with a GoPro and E-PL3.

But my GH3 setup:

GH3 + NA-GH3

Ninja2 + NA-Ninja2 Housing
Zen 170mm Dome (+20mm extension), Nauticam 65mm Port

Nauticam Flexitray W

2x Keldan 4V Lights

Lens (12-35mm, 60mm, 8mm) + 7-14mm  :B):

Off to HMS Hermes (95) in June and hope to have all of it in place ready for the trip!

Previous:
GoPro 3 / EPL3
LFM 900Lms Lights

Regards, Richard

--

Underwater 4K Videos

#7 Kevster

Kevster

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:38 AM

I have the 8mm, but it can be too wide.

I also use the Pannasonic DMW-GFC & DMW-GWC conversions lens that attach to the 14-42x or 14 mm lens.

http://panasonic.net...s/dmw_gfc1.html

http://panasonic.net...s/dmw_gwc1.html

These conversions lens increase FL from 14mm to 11mm using the GWC & to 120 degree angle with the fisheye conversion lens (GFC). This is a good range for shark action,exactly what i was after.

Both of these work with the 3.5" & 4" domes using the 14mm lens. You need the 30 mm extension ring to use with the 14-42X lens.

For me this was a lot cheaper than buying 7-14mm lens & 6" dome port (approx $1500). 

If i was starting over again i would prob go the 7-14mm route, but it was a good low cost option for me as i already had the 14-42x & 14mm lens for topside use.

Edited by Kevster, 01 January 2014 - 06:58 AM.

GH2, NA-GH2, 8mm,14mm,25mm,45mm,14-42x mm,14-140mm,100-300mm

#8 wreckfrog

wreckfrog

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

Kevster, do you know if the wideangle converter fits to a olympus 12mm f2.0  lens or is only for Pan lenses. ? I have recently bought a GH3 and are looking for a lens for wreckfilming, in swedish waters, And i dont really want a fisheye because of the barrel effect.

Beautiful films David !

I also wonder if there is any advantages with a fast lens like that oly 12mm f2.0  ? I get more light in but Will it be difficult whith a open aperture when it comes to get the image in focus because the short depth of field ? If I am forced to use a smaller aperture like 6.3 for more dof to get sharp images then  its no use/advantage whit a fast lens underwater.Whats your experienses. 

#9 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

I also wonder if there is any advantages with a fast lens like that oly 12mm f2.0  ? I get more light in but Will it be difficult whith a open aperture when it comes to get the image in focus because the short depth of field ? If I am forced to use a smaller aperture like 6.3 for more dof to get sharp images then  its no use/advantage whit a fast lens underwater.Whats your experienses. 

Usually I set the aperture of my 7-14mm to F5. It's sharp enough for my taste but it mantain a useful DOF. This tool it's very useful:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

The trick is trying to stay hyperfocal as much as possible.

I guess that using a faster lens you would fall having soft borders or blurred background. I saw a lot of cave video shot with FF camera having extremely soft borders. You end up beyond dome limits.

#10 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

Thats a cool website! Thanks.... I've learned something today!

Regards, Richard

--

Underwater 4K Videos

#11 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Interesting read, thanks for the link.

#12 Raptor^

Raptor^

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

What is the angle of view for the 7-14 @7 and the 8mm fisheye?

How does these two compare to a GoPro in wide mode?

I am also looking into preferred lenses for the m43 format, but haven't decided on a body just yet so I am in no hurry.