• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eikojnz

eikojnz

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Hi all. Trying to book a trip to the red sea. I won a week long liveaboard. It's operating out of Sudan now till July then out of Hurghada, Egypt after that. I would appreciate some input regarding the safety and also the diving from any photographers who have been recently or has knowledge. 

Cheers, Eiko

#2 pooley

pooley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

I can't comment on the Sudan aspect, but I've been going to Egypt each year for th last 5 years, and never seen any problems in any of the resorts. Last time I was in Hurghada (June 2013), there were reports of relatively minor disturbances over a night or 2, but the vast majority of troble is in Cairo - and 11 hour car journey away. From speaking to other divers, I am not aware of any reason not to take a liveaboard out of Hurghada.

The southern routes of the Red Sea liveaboards generally offer the better diving, but there are several regular routes to consider if you have the option, take a look at the websites of places like emperordivers.com or blue0two.com and they will give a bit more detail about the routes

#3 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Hi 

I've been doing the Rea Sea every year for the last 10years with out any issues, even when their were bombing Sharm.

The diving has always been great,

regards,

Andy. :uwphotog:  :uwphotog:  :uwphotog:  :uwphotog:

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:00 AM

I was last in Sudan in 2012, on a boat that travelled down from Egypt. It's good diving, better than all but the "Deep South", the Northern Marine Park, and a few sites like Ras Mohammed when the big schools of fish are around in May, in Egypt.

Sudan 2012 229 Habili Khab Mi'am Eritraean border b.jpg

Travel into Sudan by air is unpredictable and sometimes a bit scary. The larger Italian boats are good, but the Egyptian boats are probably a better bet, even if you have to waste a day before diving because of the Sudanese rules that require the boat to register in Port Sudan before any diving in Sudanese waters.

Sudan 2012 000 Abington Reef.jpg

It's safe, the Egyptian boats in the south usually depart from tourist ports which are, essentially, owned and run by senior military personnel. The archaeological sites have seen trouble, but the diving resorts haven't: the Sharm attacks were well away from the diving resorts.

Ras Mohammed 61.jpg

The boats are very comfortable.

Sudan 2011 002 096 Sanganeb Royal Evolution.jpg

The dives can be spectacular.

Sudan 2012 Habili Ghadban.jpg

Port Sudan has one of the best wrecks in the Red Sea, although it is full of explosives...

Sudan 2011 018 062 Umbria Wingate Reef.jpg  Sudan 2011 011 046 Umbria Wingate Reef.jpg

Edited by tdpriest, 28 January 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#5 chipi

chipi

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

Since visiting Red Sea for the first time, my advice is do it from Egypt and I think no need for the Sudan adventure (not so easy to get there, safety and eventually value when cross compared to specific parts of Egypt IMHO).

Again, for the first time visitors, I strongly advise liveaboards from Sharm or Marsa Alam and not Hurghada or other places due to routes. From Sharm you have "North" routes and access to Ras Mohammed and best wrecks which are just pure heaven for underwater photography. Choose your season carefully since crossings depends on weather. After "North" routes, I suggest "South" ones starting from Marsa Alam in variety of several specific destinations. I did liveaboard from Hurghada twice and I think never again but almost yearly I am back to North/South routes..

I suggest you to do your own homework and refer maybe to Alex Mustard's Red Sea photo workshops, as well as other photo workshops (Duxy's maybe) or just regular trips by UK dive operator he uses (skipping name but 1 min googling will reveal name). Also, don't underestimate the quality of liveaboards since they vary so choose a bit more expensive option just to be sure you'll be happy. Being keen on photography, there is a big difference in how liveaboards and their crews complement your needs.

And yes, check my UW portfolio at http://www.markodrag...er_photography/ for photos from Res Sea North route from last year while on Alex Mustard workshop

#6 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:01 AM

If you won a trip from a specific boat it's hard to be picky with the itinerary, I guess you have to chose from what they offer. I've dived pretty extensively in both Egypt and Sudan, from liveabaords departing out of both Egyptian ports and Port Sudan. Inmo Sudan generally offers superior diving to anything you can find in Egypt. More diversity, bigger numbers, more big fish and very few divers. But it is less comfortable and more expensive. I'm not updated on the safety right now and you'll have to consult your embassy and others who have been there recently (there are a lot of people who have never been with a lot of opinions). All I can say is that I have never felt unsafe in Port Sudan or Egypt.

Edited by Christian K, 08 April 2014 - 05:01 AM.