2 replies to this topic

#1 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

Any one have any feed back on the Manado floods?

http://tinyurl.com/k9t34jo

From the looks of the video, the Straits are now probably full of tons of garbage and trash!

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#2 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1059 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:32 AM

Hi Okuma,

Quite a few people have died in Manado and the surrounding area, and it is still flooded to around the 2nd floor in many houses in central Manado as of this afternoon.

As an 'expert' on Lembeh, I am sure you are aware that Manado is on the opposite side of the landmass to Lembeh, so we should not get any fridges /  coolers or bodies washing up on this side for a while.  When it does happen we will just clean it up. 

Bitung had some minor flooding but no road closures.  There has been minimal trash on my beaches today but a lot of pumice rock.

We had some (local) people stuck in Manado yesterday and I believe that the resorts in Bunaken did not dive today because of the large waves.  Large Waves + Spring Tides + Crazy Rainfall are a recipe for disaster when combined with poor city planning.

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#3 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

Just got back from Kasawari and Lembeh yesterday.  Did not note anything really "different" there.  Lembeh was getting a little surge from the north and viz was around 15 ft in the shallows but otherwise it was it's usual wonderful self.