• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sfaatz

sfaatz

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

I have a single Inon D-2000 type 4 strobe that I use with my Sony RX-100 II / Nauticam housing.  I only shoot wide angle (wide angle lens or fisheye lens) of mostly wrecks and large animals.  I am looking into getting a second Inon strobe.  My question is should I get a D-2000 (to match what I have (GN 17 w/ diffuser)) or get a Z-240 (GN 21 w/ diffuser)?

The cost difference isn't that great but I'm just not sure if it will create undesired effects or have no benefit at all. 

Thanks!

Scott

#2 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

I've been in both conditions and feel much better with matched strobes.  You can always down power one for differential lighting.

I shoot Inons 240 and consider them marginally powered for big stuff.

YMMV

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#3 sfaatz

sfaatz

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

ok.  I was thinking the Z-240 may have been a better choice only because of the increased power.  Unfortunatly I can't justify selling my D-2000 and replacing it with two Z-240's.  I guess the best way to go is get another D-2000 and get closer :-)

Thanks,

Scott

#4 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

You will be fine with 2 INON Strobes.

The most important is that they have the same Color Temperature.

Otherwise, you would get strange Color casts.

Both the INONs do have the same Color Temp, according to my knowledge.

It also makes it somewhat easier that they are similar in controls.

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

In the Z240 manual there is a long section about pairing it with other Inon strobes and what can or not be done. I would think the manual of the D2000 would be the same?

Whilst the iQ of the D2000 is very high and similar to the Z240 to which it only lacks power and an electrical connection option, the RX100 does require smaller apertures to other compact cameras and therefore more strobe power.

Depending on what lens you have (I remember right the fix UWL-04?) once you work out the aperture you have sharp images then you can figure out quite quickly what kind of power you need from your strobes depending on your arms and subject distance

For CFWA two D2000 should be sufficient even at f/8 and smaller

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#6 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2141 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

... should I get a D-2000 (to match what I have (GN 17 w/ diffuser)) or get a Z-240 (GN 21 w/ diffuser)?

A no-brainer: the Z-240. The different Inon strobes work together, but you do need to set them both to the same trigger and mode (ie use a fibre-optic cable on the Z-240 and use both is S-TTL or Manual). The Z-240 has a little bit more, and is an investment for that upgraded system that all photographers eventually covet...

I've used an Inon and a Sea&Sea strobe together in the past without too much difficulty, although that was with electronic synchronisation.

#7 sfaatz

sfaatz

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I am going to go ahead and get a Z-240.  Seems like that would be the best way to go.

Scott