Photo
- - - - -

Is there a place for Instagram-esque post processing in UW photography?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mcliffy2

mcliffy2

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

I'm curious what people think.  My personal view had been that Instagram degrades photos in a way that can admittedly look cool on very small screens (e.g., an iPhone), but in the end, was not something that was viable for "real" photography.

However, I recently purchased the Nik Collection of PS plug-ins.  There are many professional photographers that I admire (e.g., Tony Wu) who are big proponents of Nik.  Some of the filters in the Nik Collection, especially in Color Efex, reminded me a bit of Instagram.  I started playing with them and begrudgingly admit they are kinda fun, and I like some of the results, even if they aren't exactly "realistic."  Here's one sample of a photo I ran through the Detail Extractor in Color Efex (to bring out the texture in the water surface), and then a Sepia preset in Silver Efex.  It is a bit hyper-stylized, but I think I kinda like it, in a guilty-pleasure kind of way. 

So what do people think?  Is this type of Instagram-esque post-processing cheesy?  Or is it a viable way to add some variety to our UW photos?   I have thick skin -- its OK if the consensus hates this picture and everything like it.  I'm more just curious what people think on this topic.

#2 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

It's a nice image. Don't know if I like it sepia toned...

Why shouldn't you be able to process your images as you

see fit. It is your art after all.

I know many who take DSLR shot images and post to Instagram

as a social media marketing tool. I still prefer the mobile image

acquisition behind it though. Up to you I imagine.

Edited by Cary Dean, 19 January 2014 - 11:41 AM.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 Alison Perkins

Alison Perkins

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:http://www.inspiredtodive.com

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

I find myself liking it. But I wonder if I saw the original whether I might like that more...?

Underwater photographer based in New Zealand.

http://www.inspiredtodive.com

#4 mcliffy2

mcliffy2

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

I find myself liking it. But I wonder if I saw the original whether I might like that more...?

Here is the original (without the sepia filter from Silver Efex).

12032692236_1c439bab4e_z.jpg

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1497 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

Personally, I like the sepia one a lot more probably because it looks a lot less like the 10,000 other hammerhead photos out there. Good job I think.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 Alison Perkins

Alison Perkins

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:http://www.inspiredtodive.com

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

I like the sepia better, brings out the main shark. You could be onto something. Play with some more. :-)

Underwater photographer based in New Zealand.

http://www.inspiredtodive.com

#7 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

Eh... not my thing but to each his own. I personally draw a line at "mason jars".

#8 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

I hav nothing against being creative in this way.  There is a place for hyper realism and a place for personal interpretation.

With this particular image, I am not loving the sepia tone.  It would be interesting to see it in black and white, perhaps with high contrast and dynamic range like Ansel Adams' style