Photo

Gifting Underwater Photography - Full Starter's Kit?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lwind

lwind

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

Let me preface by saying that I know very little about photography (but a lot about aquariums). I'm looking to buy an underwater camera for my significant other, who is an extremely talented salt-water aquariumist and photographer. He has several high quality cameras and lenses for non-underwater photos. He's also an excellent product researcher, which I'm unfortunately not all that good with.

I want to make sure I get him everything he needs to start taking pictures right away (without having to go out an buy more before even getting to try it!) that takes high quality pictures, but that doesn't break the bank too much (though I wish I could get him the greatest of everything). Price range is, unfortunately, only around $400.

While one day I hope we can snorkel and scuba-dive, this gift is for our 92-gallon aquarium (a bowfront glass makes it hard to take photos from the outside).

What would you recommend I buy...a "full starter's kit," you might say?

Note:  I'm also considering just getting him an underwater casing for one of his existing cameras, but I'm terrified of him dunking a camera not intended for underwater use!

Edited by lwind, 21 January 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1546 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

I would recommend the Nikon AW1 camera but it is a bit above your budget. There are a number of P&S cameras that are waterproof to 10 feet so you might look at those but the AW1 is the only one that has real quality lenses AFAIK.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Cary Dean

Cary Dean

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

There are some Olympus kits with camera and housing for

"around" that price. Generally a little bit more though but

not as costly as hosing his existing camera.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#4 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

Don't do it. Buy a fish for the aquarium instead….You already confessed you don't know much about photography. do what you know….not trying to be a jacka$$ just trying to save some heartache.

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#5 joez2391

joez2391

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

In all honesty its hard it is to take pictures of moving fish in the ocean let along trying to shove your hand into a tank to take pictures of them.  I think that GoPro would be your best bet since it takes some great HD video and nice still pictures and it small enough to get in wherever you want to go in the tank, especially if you attach it to a pole (gopole) or something you wont even have to get your hands wet and scare the fish.  I just got one a month ago and I really like it, definitely worth looking into. I think a camera, even the waterproof point and shoots are going to get you nothing but awkward angles of the fish or empty tank pictures.

#6 dpaustex

dpaustex

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Scuba. Photography. Mountains.

What else is there?

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

For an aquarium?  GoPro on a stick.

$400, tops.