• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hiloboy

hiloboy

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

I was wondering what companies people are using to backup RAW images on the cloud.

#2 jmauricio

jmauricio

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

none. too expensive for me as of now!

Have read some interesting things about Amazon Glacier. cheapest cloud space available. Realistically, its for back ups, so no need to access it regularly if at all.

#3 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

I'm about to see how Amazon Glacier works for me. All I need is offsite long-term backup storage, and on paper it looks cost-effective.

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#4 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

I use Livedrive at present, seems to be ok, takes a while to initially backup

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1457 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Glacier is about $400/year for 3 TB storage. Not terribly cheap (you can get a TB free from Flickr) but not a killer. For 400 you can get at least 3TB worth of hard drives and keep them backed up and moved offsite (if you have an office).

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

...And the biggest problem is shifting the data up to the cloud. 

Its not been an exhaustive study, but so far:-

The physical volume of data for just one year is bigger than I imagined. And I only shoot around 5000 images a year...

The Glacier uploader I'm using for Mac does not support folders.

Zipping up batches of directories is OK, but you cannot retrieve a single file from the zip - you have to download the entire file. Which would be OK except you pay for data OUT.

If you set your Mac to go to sleep and save power...the upload won't restart on wakeup...not surprising really that one but I did forget...

So I think there is something here, but its not as quick/seamless as I hoped for. I'm sure I'm missing something to make my life easy and will continue and report back as and when.

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#7 thetrickster

thetrickster

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:27 AM

I've just signed up to Backblaze - unlimited backup for $5pm

Auto syncs as you go... obviously takes a while to upload the initial 'seed'

Edited by thetrickster, 27 January 2014 - 02:28 AM.

Regards, Richard

--

Gear: GH3 GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome (awaiting) , Keldan Luna 8 CRI, INON z240

My Vimeo Videos

#8 TomUK

TomUK

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

I'm using "crash plan" have just over 1.5tb of data on there, took about 20 days to fully upload the initial bit, but works fantastically now. It also manages my on site backups, to an internal backup drive in my editing machine and a nas upstairs.

Profesional Photographer on land........ gibbering wreck underwater.

#9 Vondo

Vondo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

I do the "keep it at the office trick" and I use BitTorrent Sync to keep things up to date.

If I didn't have that option I would trade with a friend or family member and exchange 4 TB drives: he keeps my backup, I keep his. BT sync has a read-only mode which would keep inadvertent changes on one side from propagating to the other side.