7 replies to this topic

#1 albert kok

albert kok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:wide angle

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

Hi, for people who don’t want to take their heavy and expensive lap top on a diving trip, a tablet could be a solution.  I bought the Nexus7, a cheap and ultralight 16 GB Android tablet that connects with Wifi (there is also a 32 GB version). To get this set up working could be a pain, but finally it will (probably)  work and satisfy your needs. If you can find the right apps!

First I downloaded a free app called Nexus Media Importer (NMI). This app allows you to stream and transfer music, video, photos and documents from a USB flash drive or card reader to your Nexus. The card reader needs to be connected with a special OTG cable to the mini USB port of the Nexus. When you import your pictures with the NMI you first select the folder or files on your card that you wish to transfer, and then select the destination folder in the tablet. Its also possible to add and name new destination folders in the directory. Another useful  app is Android file manager, that makes it  easier to search for  folders or  create subfolders  in the tablets directory.  

Both JPG and Raw  files can be transferred from your card reader to Internal storage, either individually or as a folder. But for inspecting the raw files on the Nexus screen I use another app called RawDroid.  Its also possible to transfer your pictures or folders with the ‘Share’ option  to media like Drive or Dropbox on your tablet. This could be a good option to export and download the Nexus files to your PC.  A second option is to download the app AirDroid, and use your Wifi connection either at home or at your diving location.  Finally, there is  a Photoshop app called Photoshop Touch 1.4. for   Nexus 7 that allows you to do some (I suppose modest)  photoshopping of your pictures  during your dive trip. But I think that Nexus7 might not be the best platform for picture editing. 

nexus-7-sd-card-main.jpg

Edited by albert kok, 26 January 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

Thanks for the information.  I just purchased a Nexus 7 as well, and am looking for good apps to set it up.  This will help.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#3 bobanderson

bobanderson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

I use an Asus Phone pad which is basically a Nexus 7 but branded differently.

I use it to view and store images and to take them home rather than taking the camera memory cards  themselves and for that it works really well. I stuck a small memory card into the tablet and transfer the images from the camera card to that to give a little breathing room on the tablets own memory. I started with NMM but now find the file manager utility that came with the tablet just a useful.

I have not done any image manipulation on the tablet and tbf prob will never bother.

For a simple easy way to view images and store them in the short term, this setup works really well and has a lot to commend it. I paid £180 for the tablet and another £20 in apps and leads.

#4 marcw

marcw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

i do the same with my nexus 10, beautiful screen.  I do some minor editing and  I have a few apps but lately the stock photo apps is my favorite for editing.

to bad faststone has not made an app for android.  I use to use that app on my pc all the time.

#5 String

String

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

Nexus 7 is OK for displaying the JPGs and so on.  I use my 70Ds wireless to send to it.  The screen though really makes it unsuitable for editing (as do all tablets).  Color reproduction isnt accurate, shadows aren't right and so on.

#6 divephotoguidejoe

divephotoguidejoe

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

Is there a way to back this up though? The tablet seems like a good back up in addition to a laptop--it's probably more durable than an external drive.

Editor- DivePhotoGuide.com &
Scuba Diver Through The Lens
josephtepper.com
Twitter: @JoeTepper

#7 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1537 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

I think using a tablet for backup is problematical from the standpoint of economics and capacity. At 32 GB for $270 it is expensive and doesn't hold many pics, external drives are $100 for 3TB (100x the capacity and 3x less cost). If you are worried about durability get a small SSD (512GB) for the same money.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#8 marcw

marcw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

I think using a tablet for backup is problematical from the standpoint of economics and capacity. At 32 GB for $270 it is expensive and doesn't hold many pics, external drives are $100 for 3TB (100x the capacity and 3x less cost). If you are worried about durability get a small SSD (512GB) for the same money.

Bill

i use a 64gb thumbdrive for my storage, plenty of space for a week of pictures.

fyi, any pictures on the tablet when connected to wifi and you enable google plus will have all the pictures uploaded automatically.   Just remember that we sometimes go to a country with minimal internet so you might hog the bandwidth.