• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:05 AM

KONA CLASSIC - UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEOGRAPHY FESTIVAL, MAY 8 -15, 2004

KONA, HI - The Big Island of Hawaii along with Fathoms Magazine, Body Glove and Aqualung are pleased to bring divers a third chance to experience the 3nd Annual Kona Classic Underwater Photography & Video Festival. Beginning May 8, 2004 the Big Island will host hundreds of visitors, divers, world famous photographers and artists for a weeklong extravaganza of fun-filled events.

On opening day, registered guests can experience the local charm of Kona and the historic traditions of Hawaii at the Royal Kona Resort. Throughout the week, attendees will mingle with highly celebrated underwater photographers, including Marty Snyderman, David Fleetham, Bonnie Pelnar and Eric Hanauer. Learn the tricks of the trade with educational seminars and compete in an underwater photo / video contest for fabulous prizes. Winners will be published in Fathoms Magazine and on TheUnderwaterPhotographer.com. The Royal Kona Resort will be the host hotel where the participants will share in daily seminars, nightly parties and raffles.

The lavish Big Island Coast provides some of the best diving in the Pacific. Participants can experience two incredible dives per day in waters where visibility commonly runs from 100-200 feet. Local dive guides will lead divers to sites that often produce encounters both with Bottlenose and Spinner Dolphins, and rare sightings of False and Pygmy Killer, Melon-headed and short-finned Whales. Special Manta Ray night dives are sure to cram dive logs with some of the most awesome encounters ever.

And Kona is ideal for families. Kids will have the opportunity to snorkel and join in an underwater treasure hunt sponsored by Body Glove. The Photo Pros will share their best underwater photography from all over the world at the Film Festival. Afternoon jaunts to volcanoes and the beautiful city of Hilo also make for incredible family fun. The week will end with an awards ceremony celebrating the photographer's hard work and camaraderie.

For package pricing information and reservations, please call a participating dive operator:  Jacks Diving Locker 800 345-4807; Kona Coast Divers 800 KOA-DIVE; Big Island Divers 800 488-6068; Hualalai Watersports/Sunseeker 808 325 8222 or check out www.theunderwaterphotographer.com or www.fathomspub.com

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:14 AM

Bummer - it's at the same time as the Digital Shootout. I wish I could go to both.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:21 AM

Yea, bad timing. We would have loved to have you there.

I'm going to attempt to post daily updates and photos on our site at theUnderwaterPhotographer.com. I know that's a lot of work and I don't know how Eric does such a great job on his trip reports when he's on the road, but I'm going to try, in between everything else going on.

#4 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:48 AM

2004 Kona Classic Winners

Winners of the 2004 Kona Classic Underwater Photo and Video Festival are now posted at TheUnderwaterPhotographer.com.

http://www.theunderw...na/winners.html.

I've also put up lots of photos from the dive boats, seminars, presentations and parties that took place during the week. Still working on getting the winning videos online.

We're currently working on a date for next year's competition and will announce it here when things are finalized. Check it out and see if you might recognize some familiar faces.

Enjoy!