• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ibsroushdi

ibsroushdi

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on housing flash units (specifically the nikon sb910). Upsides/ downsides? I know they would be bulkier/ more expensive but high speed sync might be fun to play with?

#2 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

I have a buddy who has just started using that strobe in a Subal housing with a D3x. He is blown away with it. I haven't seen his results yet.

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#3 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1515 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

As you say, big, bulky and not very cheap, but if you are into the high speed thing then it certainly works.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#4 BottomTime

BottomTime

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

I was once thinking of moving to housed speed lights as well so I’ll offer a couple of additional things to consider.

- At 2.3s for full recycle, they are slow.

- They are low power compared to most underwater strobes. I’d put them in the same range as a YS-110/DS125.

- Auto FP mode reduces power further. Strobe power becomes linked to shutter speed so a faster shutter speed results in additional power losses.

- You can’t use Auto FP with more than one strobe (not entirely true).

- Personally, I found the light quality to be bit harsh when I looked at images taken by others with these types of strobe. This could be a function of the user though.

On the flip side:

- They have a focusable reflector which could potentially be used creatively to focus light where you want it (provided you don’t drop the built in diffuser panel). The fringe benefit is that the strobe has a higher GN as a result.

- Full blown iTTL control (for one strobe).

- Infinitely controllable strobe power. Full power to 1/128 in 1/3 stop increments.

There are cases where the Auto FP will be a creative tool (See Dr. Alexander Mustard’s Anthias shot in this thread) but if you’re hoping to use it to shoot wide angle shots in shallow water on a bright sunny day while aiming directly into the sun, I think you will be disappointed.

Mike

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible"