Humphead Parrotfish Shark Manta Palau Peter Walker Mating Aggregation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:10 AM

I just posted the a video from a recent Palau trip:

It is a HD online video (hosted from Vimeo) so you will need a fast internet connection or wait patiently for it to buffer.

I do have a couple of other online videos in the pipeline (Caves, Jellyfish Lake) but this is the "mating aggregation" video so I focused on uploading this one first.

Thanks to David Cheung of ScubaCam for putting this trip together.

Regards
Peter

Camera: Canon XF100
Housing: BS Kinetics Makla Takan
Editing: Final Cut Pro X 10.1

#2 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

Nice job Peter.  Good job on the behavior of the parrotfish.  Thanks for sharing it.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#3 matdiver1234

matdiver1234

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Really interesting, Peter. Nice video - thanks a lot for sharing. I've never been lucky enough to see that behaviour in Palau. Last time I was there (beginning of January) it rained virtually the whole time and the ambient light was terrible!

Cheers,

Matt

Matt

https://vimeo.com/user778053/videos

Panasonic GH2 - 10 Bar housing - 50W Kowalski Maxum

#4 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

Really interesting, Peter. Nice video - thanks a lot for sharing. I've never been lucky enough to see that behaviour in Palau. Last time I was there (beginning of January) it rained virtually the whole time and the ambient light was terrible!

Which operator did you go with?

regards

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#5 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:59 AM

Which operator did you go with?

regards

David

Sam Tours: they were really great.  Paul Collins of Sam Tours is such an expert that other dive boats follow him out to the dive sites.

But, I also need to praise the brilliant organisational skills of CheungyDiver who arranged everything and got us all there, underwater and back in once piece...  :)

#6 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:39 AM

(thanks Peter)

Hi Matt

There is really two operators in Palau who knows exactly when fish spawning aggregation will occur around Palau, down to the day and even hours. Paul and Richard of Uniquedive Expeditions at Sams Tour and the other is the Japanese outfit called Blue Marlin at the Palau Royal Resort. The guide called Clayton has like a sixth sense from decades of diving in palauan waters when and where to find the spawning. Paul is also pretty amazing and he is also studying his PHD on the subject at Palau. Needless to say his trips to experience various species of fish aggregations are always booked up. When I bring a group and charter his boat I have to wait and be patient. It really pays off to have a knowledgeable guide. 

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#7 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Well here is one of many clips of the spawning. Shot six in the morning so the video is a bit grainy. Shot using a 5D MIII with ML. 16-35 II f2.8L and Nauticam housing with a CheungyPro one dome. Sorry no music.  Best watch in HD.      

music added- curtesy of Vimeo!

Edited by CheungyDiver, 06 February 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#8 matdiver1234

matdiver1234

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

Thanks a lot for that. I've been lucky enough to go to Palau 6 times now, always on Ocean Hunter 3. They're a really great bunch of people, I get 5 dives a day, and they let me film in peace. They're great at organising German Channel at just the right time and place for mantas. HOWEVER, as I say, I've never seen that behaviour with parrot fish. Usually OH3 guides avoid outgoing currents, but next time I go back I'll definitely investigate the names you've mentioned. In January it was the worst weather I'd ever experienced in Palau, which was bad news for someone who relies on ambient light like me. I'll post something here once I've finished the edit, but there's definitely more grading to do than usual.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt

https://vimeo.com/user778053/videos

Panasonic GH2 - 10 Bar housing - 50W Kowalski Maxum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Humphead, Parrotfish, Shark, Manta, Palau, Peter Walker, Mating, Aggregation