• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#341 mintakax

mintakax

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:16 AM

Thanks all for the great advice. The keldans CRIs are at the top of my list and I am going to call Chris at Reef photos.

#342 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:41 AM

My favorite wide angle lens for 4k video on GH4 is 8mm fisheye.  The 4k crop knocks out most of the fisheye distortion.  I don't find 7-14 to be wide enough for many situations.

RE: purple reflections in macro video from Keldan lights, I call bs on that one.   I'm willing to be proven wrong if anyone could demonstrate the phenomenon...

Moses is very kind with his recommendation, but I think all of the Nauticam dealers in the Americas are pretty on the ball.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#343 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:27 AM

RE: purple reflections in macro video from Keldan lights, I call bs on that one.   I'm willing to be proven wrong if anyone could demonstrate the phenomenon...

When I first bought the Keldan lights a couple of years ago, I did some pool tests. One test was shooting a macro subject with a classic cine lighting setup - one that I like to use to separate the subject from the background. The prime light is up high and back to the left at about a 45 degree angle, mimicking a diffuse mid-morning sun angle. The secondary light comes in from close on the right and slightly behind the subject, creating a rim-light on the subject. This light is on low power, in close to the subject to minimise the light spread, with the light head just outside the frame.

In the test, I could clearly see a purplish sheen on the side of the subject as the brighter prime light from above bounced off the angled side of the rim light. I don't have the test footage but you could easily replicate the test if you do not believe me.

So I got a couple of those car "touch up" pens and painted the Keldans matt black. Problem solved.

Regards
Peter

Edited by peterbkk, 05 February 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#344 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1062 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the info Peter, I'll certainly see if I can replicate it.  I haven't witnessed it in my own use.

Apologies for coming across as rude.  My intention was a common, tongue-in-cheek expression of skepticism...

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#345 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info Peter, I'll certainly see if I can replicate it.  I haven't witnessed it in my own use.

If Keldan lights are used in the normal "car headlights" approach to underwater lighting or even with both lights providing front lighting from a distance, this issue will never arise. But I like playing with different lighting positions (hence my preference for locline arms). One or two of my favorite lighting positions puts one light close enough to the subject that light from the main light can bounce off the side of the close-in light unit. Painting the Keldans black solves the problem.

I suspect that there's a good explanation why Keldan uses that purple colour (daughter's favorite color, maybe) but there's a good reason why professional camera equipment is black or neutral so as to avoid the possibility of introducing stray colours.

Regards
Peter

#346 mintakax

mintakax

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

My favorite wide angle lens for 4k video on GH4 is 8mm fisheye.  The 4k crop knocks out most of the fisheye distortion.  I don't find 7-14 to be wide enough for many situations.

Moses is very kind with his recommendation, but I think all of the Nauticam dealers in the Americas are pretty on the ball.

Thanks Ryan -- I have no other underwater footage to compare against the 8mm FE, but in editing my 8mm footage from last weekend in Key Largo, I was surprised at the minimal amount of FE distortion. There is some curvature at distance on the edges, but I was expecting worse. Plus, dropping the 4k footage on an HD timeline with some scaling up pretty much gets rid of it. Tomorrow I'm buying the Keldan 8M CIDs and arms from Reef Photos. I had a nice phone chat with Phil from Reef this morning and feel good about using them, I do a lot of dives in Key Largo, so I like the Fla connection !

Again, thanks all for the advice

#347 mintakax

mintakax

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

Another quick question. I have the M.Zuiko 12mm lens. Has anyone used this underwater with the GH4 ? It looks like it will fit in the 4" FE port.  I realize its fixed FL and not as versatile as a zoom, but any reason I shouldn't give it a try ? 

#348 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1093 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

Another quick question. I have the M.Zuiko 12mm lens. Has anyone used this underwater with the GH4 ? It looks like it will fit in the 4" FE port.  I realize its fixed FL and not as versatile as a zoom, but any reason I shouldn't give it a try ? 

30mm focal length at 4K is quite narrow

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#349 mintakax

mintakax

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

30mm focal length at 4K is quite narrow

Thanks. It's kind of a strange size. I find it too wide for most of my top side use. I originally bought it to fly on a drone, but never got around to it.

Edited by mintakax, 14 February 2015 - 04:24 PM.