24 replies to this topic

#1 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

Hello everyone,

For those that have traveled with Air Nuigini from Port Moresby to Tawali - Alotau (GUR)

They are saying 70 lbs total for weight....Including carry on.   Additional baggage is $5 USD for every additional Kilo.  Which is fine, but it says that if the airplane is weight restricted it won't go with you.  This has me a little nervous, especially since I am planing on packing and checking 2 dslr's (in pelicans) and dive gear for myself and my wife.  

What is the likelihood that the plane with be overweight?

If you have any other words of wisdom..Please feel free to share.

Dustin

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#2 markw

markw

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

Hi Dustin,

We did that trip 2 years ago and weight was checked carefully for the internal flight. I saw some people hit for excess baggage (avoided by one person when money changed hands at the weighing point). Our group was able to take all gear so I think you would have to be unlucky to be separated from your gear.

Mark

#3 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Hi Dustin,We did that trip 2 years ago and weight was checked carefully for the internal flight. I saw some people hit for excess baggage (avoided by one person when money changed hands at the weighing point). Our group was able to take all gear so I think you would have to be unlucky to be separated from your gear.Mark

Thanks mark...was your flight full? How much gear? We have about 300 pounds between myself and wife. With dive gear, photo and video gear, laptops, etc...heck. The pelican cases weight 50 pounds by themselves(2 at 25 each).

I am reading horror stories of baggage charges in the $1000's.

Dustin

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#4 markw

markw

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:20 PM

Dustin, Our scheduled afternoon flight was cancelled (probably because it wasn't full and not uncommon from what we heard) - this meant losing a day of diving. The flight we were on the next morning was fairly full. You have more than double the normal allowance so it might be worth trying to chat up a local to learn of any helpful tricks and invest in a photo-vest or two.

Mark

#5 Aliens

Aliens

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

That is a lot of gear. I would have a few spare kina

#6 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

What are peoples thoughts on trying to get both my wifes and I's full DSLR Rigs in as a carryon?  We normally do that, so I know I can do it.  the problem is that if they decide to weigh the carry on's.  I can try the photographers Vest, with some cargo shorts routine.  haven't done that before.  but I am willing

I was orginally thinking of checking them.  But the more I think about it, I am wondering if carry on will work.  Details of my flights, are Virgin Australia LAX > BNE...2 hour 10 minute layover.  BNE to POM on Air Nuigini.....overnight in POM.  POM > GUR on Air Nuigini.

Is it going to be better to check, or carry on the camera gear.  I have heard horror stories of the Australia airports.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dustin

Edited by Oceanshutter, 17 April 2014 - 07:06 AM.

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#7 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

Ok, can someone explain how to use "photographer vest" to sneak in more weight? Like what do you put in it? I asked because when come to international flight, you're talking about 10 hour+ of journey, and me being 230lb certain feel okay in a T-shirt in tight plane seat. I can imagine the vest would cause some discomfort, but how bad, and what to expect?

#8 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Ok, can someone explain how to use "photographer vest" to sneak in more weight? Like what do you put in it? I asked because when come to international flight, you're talking about 10 hour+ of journey, and me being 230lb certain feel okay in a T-shirt in tight plane seat. I can imagine the vest would cause some discomfort, but how bad, and what to expect?

I believe the idea is to load up the vest with camera's lenses, lights, strobes etc....wear the vest to the check in counter, and through security.  After you pass security, you just load all of it back into your carry on.  

It's ridiculous....

Edited by Oceanshutter, 17 April 2014 - 08:35 AM.

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#9 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Ah, make sense, so you shouldn't have your carry on bag fully stuffed like it's going to burst open, and wear all the heavy stuff at the same time. Yeah it's getting very stressful to fly these days, especially with those expensive toys.

#10 troporobo

troporobo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Dustin - If you're worried about BNE, you won't be weighed there, as you will go through the transit procedures.  I do that flight quite frequently.  There is no check in for your BNE-POM flight, just a transfer desk and a security check.   I can't comment on LAX.  As others have noted, you will be weighed quite carefully for domestic flights in PNG as excess baggage is a revenue center for Air Niugini

#11 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

I  use "OceanShutter's  procedure when flying PI to Manila. Works like a charm!

With 7 trips to PNG, I've tried most every thing.

Some times you can ask to pay a cash 'fine' instead of the baggage charge.

I put about US$20 in PNG kina in each front pant pocket and claim that's all I have.

First one pocket and if that is not enough then the other one.

Don't forget they will also get you on the outward flight also!

If you see Rob there say 'Hi' from Allan for me.

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#12 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

I  use "OceanShutter's  procedure when flying PI to Manila. Works like a charm!
With 7 trips to PNG, I've tried most every thing.
Some times you can ask to pay a cash 'fine' instead of the baggage charge.
I put about US$20 in PNG kina in each front pant pocket and claim that's all I have.
First one pocket and if that is not enough then the other one.
Don't forget they will also get you on the outward flight also!

If you see Rob there say 'Hi' from Allan for me.

Are you saying you do the photographers vest? Do you actually have to use it? I figure we would probably have a think tank roller for each of us, with the backpack too. All together weighing in at probably 80-90 pounds total. Is that really pushing my luck?

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#13 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Dustin - If you're worried about BNE, you won't be weighed there, as you will go through the transit procedures.  I do that flight quite frequently.  There is no check in for your BNE-POM flight, just a transfer desk and a security check.   I can't comment on LAX.  As others have noted, you will be weighed quite carefully for domestic flights in PNG as excess baggage is a revenue center for Air Niugini

Will I be able to check my luggage from vigin Australia to air nuigini? I am a little worried about our 2 hour and 10 minute layover...worried that won't be enough time.
So you are saying the transfer is easy? Will the hassle us for the camera gear in the security check?

I have status on delta which is a partner with vigin Australia, and I will be able to check everything through so I am not too worried about the carryon on VA from lax to Bne.

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#14 troporobo

troporobo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

I've always been able to check luggage through BNE to POM, arriving on either QF or SQ and departing on PX. One of them is an alliance partner, the other isn't, so I cannot imagine why it wouldn't be possible arriving on VA.

The transfer from one international flight to another has never taken me more than a few minutes, literally, so 2 hours is heaps. Security will not care about your photo gear. They might raise an eyebrow if you have an unusually large number or high capacity of Li batteries so you might check the limits on those.

#15 troporobo

troporobo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:38 AM

These days PGK 20 (about USD 8) is unlikely to impress anyone enough to bend the rules. That's about the cost of 2 beers. I travel on short business trips without much luggage so have never tested it, but if I was hoping to get some favorable treatment, I would have considerably more in reserve.

#16 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Another idea is to check if they offer a busines class flight to Alotau. Maybe you have more baggage allowance, and the additional cost is less than the overweight charges.

Jock

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#17 troporobo

troporobo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Good idea, but that route (and most others in PNG except to the Highlands and a handful of the other major destinations) are serviced by their Dash 8 aircraft, which is part of the reason they are strict on baggage.

The routes served by their F100 aircraft, including Madang and Kavieng and a few others, have an alleged "business" class but it's not much different from economy in terms of space so I don't bother, but the extra baggage allowance might make sense in some cases.

#18 Nautilus Cairns

Nautilus Cairns

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

The simple answer is pack light! Just your dive and camera gear and a couple of T shirts and a pair of shorts. It's the tropics!. Wear your slacks and warmer clothes on the plane. You can always throw a jacket over your shoulder and put it in the overhead locker. You should be able to put most of your camera gear in a carry-on bag and keep it under 7kg.

The camera vest idea sounds OK until you get weighed as well! It happens with smaller regional airlines. Having your dive bag offloaded is a real pain. Keep your checked bag under 25kg.

OMD E-M5. Nauticam NA-EM5. Inon S2000 strobes. Lumix 8mm fisheye,Oly 12-50mm and Oly 60mm macro

#19 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

So I have learned that Virgin Australia doesn't have a baggage agreement with Air Nuigini.  So the easy transit in BNE appears to not be able to happen.   Is a 2 hour 10 minuted lay over enough time to get bags, got through immigration, and check in to the counter?  

Since I am not on the same itinerary....between VA and Air Nuigini.  And I don't make the Air nuigini flight.  I would be considered a "no show".  Never had that happen.  What happens in that scenario?  

Dustin

My Video's on Vimeo

My Video's on Youtube

#20 troporobo

troporobo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:51 AM

Are you sure you can't check baggage all the way through? I've done it after arriving at BNE on at least 4 different airlines. Just go to the transfer desk, show the bag claim number, and they do the rest. Seems weird that it would require entering Australia only to check in again, rather than going to the transfer desk while in transit. But I have not had to do this myself so can't be sure.

If you did have to go through immigration and customs with your luggage, check in upstairs, then go back through the process the other direction, 2 hours is comfortable. BNE is not large and rarely very congested, and once you're checked in you're safe.