7 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:UK underwater photography

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Has anyone had a problem with their Sea & Sea MDX-D600 housing - or a similar modern Sea & Sea housing?

I've found that the rear housing main command dial fails to connect properly with the camera. In the design there is a rubber wheel that connects with the back of the camera and this is driven by a second rubber wheel controlled from the large knob on the back of the housing.

There are two problems: Firstly, the camera is a little short of the rubber wheel. (it sometimes works better at depth).  Secondly, if I try and put a shim or two in place to move the camera back on its tray a bit, the two rubber wheels just slip against each other. I'm fairly practical and am used to housing faults but finding a simple fix for this one has got me beat. It worked OK from new but after 6 months was a real pain and became unusable.

I now conclude that this Sea & Sea design is pretty darned poor - a shame as I like the housing in most other respects! 

Any feedback welcome.

Attached Images

• DSC_4607r.jpg

#2 wodepigu

wodepigu

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:09 AM

HI Trevor

I encountered the same problem too and it was shorter than 6 months! This is what I learnt while tinkering to get it fixed.

- I sometimes leave the camera switched on while the lever on the housing is at the off position. You can push the lever to its 'correct' position after the housing is closed but that's when I realise the sub command dial cannot be engaged anymore. When I open the housing and do everything by the book the problem goes away. Sometimes this has to be done twice.

- Another potential point is when I leave the shooting mode release lever permanently engaged. Now I make sure its released before putting the camera in the housing.

I have not encountered any problems since.

I hope this helps you solve your problem :)

Cheers!

#3 Trevor Rees

Trevor Rees

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:UK underwater photography

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for the reply, not sure how your experience relates to my housing problems though. I've been assembling it by the book!

I was hoping to hear from a few more Sea & Sea users as to how well your housing controls work. Any D600, D800, D7100 users out there - does that rear command dial work perfectly on your housing?

#4 Larry C

Larry C

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

On the older housings (one dial) the manual specified to push and turn.  Since the D600 has a second dial, I doubt that will work.  When I was having this issue with my D300, it was suggested I put a piece of tape on the wheel that contacts the sub command dial. 

I did have the same problem as the previous post, in that if the camera is installed with the power off and the control lever in the on position, it won't seat correctly and leaves a gap even after switching it on and off.  The camera must be removed and reseated.  I also managed to bend the camera shoe sheet metal slightly by leaving it on my camera in the camera bag.  Bending it back to correct alignment (you can also loosen the bottom screw a  bit) helped my wheel alignment issue as well as my problem with the CSM focus mode selection.

D300 MDX-D300, 2xYS-110, 1 YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 600

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#5 chipi

chipi

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

I have a MDX-PRO 700 and all works fine

#6 vbpress

vbpress

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

I've some problems with the push button on the back of my S&S MDX D300, but only using the Sigma 8-16. For this lens I use a zoom ring modified to fit the body lens, so the problem is link to the particular configuration. But I recognized that S&S have a very very little tolerance in the camera position inside the housing.

Have you removed the plastic rear display cover from the camera body, and the rubber eyepiece too?

This is very important to make a correct "accommodation"  of the camera inside the housing.

bye

Valerio

------------------------------------

http://fotobestiali.blogspot.it/

#7 pdemaagt

pdemaagt

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

I've some problems with the push button on the back of my S&S MDX D300, but only using the Sigma 8-16. For this lens I use a zoom ring modified to fit the body lens, so the problem is link to the particular configuration. But I recognized that S&S have a very very little tolerance in the camera position inside the housing.

Have you removed the plastic rear display cover from the camera body, and the rubber eyepiece too?

This is very important to make a correct "accommodation"  of the camera inside the housing.

bye

I agree with the latter part " Have you removed the plastic rear display cover from the camera body, and the rubber eyepiece too". I never had any issue with my S&S housing but from the beginning i removed the plastic cover and the eye-piece.

#8 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1212 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

Sometimes wiping the camera and rubbe wheels off with rubbing alchol to remove oils from your hands can help things gain more "sticktion". But we did just see a similar problem with a D600 out of box. It is covered by warranty and I would send it in, along with the camera, to be adjusted/repaired. Your dealer should be able to help you.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr