4 replies to this topic

#1 sevans0579

sevans0579

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hi

Has anybody had any experience with the new Nauticam Super Macro Converter alongside the 30mm Macro Lens for the Sony NEX?

I am thinking about adding it to my setup but would be interested on peoples thoughts? does it work well alongside the lens? the thread attach directly to the port or does another attachment needed? Any examples of pictures would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

#2 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

As I understand it, and I'm sure there are those that can explain it better than me, the 30mm achieves 1:1 reproduction at a fairly close working distance. So adding wet diopters, such as the SMC, you gain a little bit of reproduction ratio but not enough to make it worthwhile.

A +10 diopter on the 30mm gives you 1.1:1. Moving up to a +15 only gives you 1.3:1. Not much extra reproduction given the expense of the added glass or the focus hassles you would encounter.

To compare, a 60mm 1:1 macro lens would reproduce 1.5:1 with a +10 and 2:1 at +15. A 105mm gives 2.2:1 with a +10 and almost 3:1 with a +15. Here the added glass has a meaningful impact on reproduction ratios.

#3 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Unfortunately testing shows this combination not to work.

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#4 sevans0579

sevans0579

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the replies, will hold out for the 100mm e-mount macro, if it ever materialises!

#5 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the replies, will hold out for the 100mm e-mount macro, if it ever materialises!

fingers crossed that rumors of a 90mm e mount FE macro are true. would be great for both nex and FF users.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nex, 30mm macro