Gopro mount DSLR housing mounting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kcf955

kcf955

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, but since I can't dive everyday I do other types of photography including weddings. Shy fish, shy bride, fleeting moments, telling a story...same thing.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

I'd like to mount my GoPro 3+ to the top of my macro port on my DSLR housing. The curved GP adhesive mount does not work. Has anyone successfully tried this with another type of mount? My housing handles do not have mounts on top for anything and my strobes are mounted to shoes on top of the housing. I would also like to have the GoPro as far forward as possible and centered so the front of the macro port sounded like a good location. 

Thanks, Keith

Edited by kcf955, 18 February 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

Depend of what material your macro port is made of. If it is DELRIN (a black plastic like my Hugyfot macro port) then nothing will stick on it.
I would opt for one or 2 hose clamps passing trough to slots you cut out of your curved flexible GoPro mount.
Once measured all you can tape the stainless steel hose clamp with self vulcanizing tape to archive a non slip and

scratch avoiding covering of the clamp. Don't tighten them too hard!

I use my GoPro on a 3rd ball head in the center of my housing (most likely for a focus light), a short ulcs arm ad 2 clamps.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 kcf955

kcf955

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, but since I can't dive everyday I do other types of photography including weddings. Shy fish, shy bride, fleeting moments, telling a story...same thing.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

Thanks Chris, yes my port is Delrin. I like you idea with a hose clamp or two. I will give it a try. My focus light is taking the spot in the middle of the housing otherwise that would be a good spot with a short arm as you have done. 

Keith

#4 kcf955

kcf955

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

Here is what I came up with -

1 - 1.5"x2"x1/2" polycarbonate block

1 - 5" hose clamp

1 - piece of road bike inner tube for hose clamp

1- piece of mountain bike inner tube for anti-slip mount under polycarbonate block

1- GoPro flat adhesive mount

Used a 3/16" drill bit and drill press to drill 3 holes through polycarbonate block for hose clamp. Then used a Dremmel tool with a spiral sheet rock cut out bit to finish the slot. Note the slot was off set just a tad to accommodate the next step. Using a drum sander on drill press sanded a contour into the block to match my macro port. Then eased the edges of the block with the drum sander. Then disassembled the hose clamp to feed it through the block and added the piece of bicycle tubing and reconnected the clamp.  Mounted a GoPro flat adhesive mount to the top of the block and attached assembly to the macro port, just tight enough to keep it from slipping. The road bike tubbing not only prevents slipping of the mount on the Delrin port but also give the tag end of the hose clamp a place to go and be out of the way to prevent snagging. 

Keith

goprohousingmount.jpg

#5 kcf955

kcf955

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

This worked out pretty well, here is the result, just need video lights now:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gopro, mount, DSLR housing, mounting