9 replies to this topic

#1 idpfish

idpfish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hey there,

I bought a new Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobe and a new fibre optical cable to use with my OMD EM5 and its Nauticam housing, but I am experiencing troubles getting a good exposure with the TTL. I am fine to shoot with manual but I bought the strobe hoping to be able to use the TTL for my macro work. I've followed all the posts on it and all the trouble-shooting, but I am still not achieving the results that can be achieved by manual settings. All the same I would really like to get it to work. I've tried adjusting the flash power from full to 1/64 as well as all the EV compensation and strobe positions and metering systems, I've got fully charged batteries and fast SD cards.

Any help would be highly appreciated as I am on a Red Sea trip right now and would love to get the TTL to work.

Ian

#2 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Hmmm.  I have the EM5 and dual S&S YS-D1s.  I shoot TTL and get great results in macro and WA.

Strobes on TTL, camera fill flash.  Strobe dial +0.3 or 0 EV?

Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#3 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

I've tried adjusting the flash power from full to 1/64 to work.

Don't know what exactly you did, but "full to 1/64" sounds as if your camera flash is set to "manual" whereas it should be set to "fill".

Jock

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#4 idpfish

idpfish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

Hey thanks guys it was on full and not fill

one more thing has the distance from the lens to object and strobe to object have to be near the same when using ttl to get the right exposure ?

ian

#5 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:19 AM

one more thing has the distance from the lens to object and strobe to object have to be near the same when using ttl to get the right exposure ?

ian

I don't understand this.   

#6 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:52 AM

ian

No.

Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#7 idpfish

idpfish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

Thanks again Jlyle

#8 Scubacor

Scubacor

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Hi There, 

I have the same problem but I have a Nauticam NA-GF3 with a Lumix DMC-GF3 inside and a YS-D1 Strobe, also I don't get great results in the TTL mode of this strobe, the camera on gives M great colors with macro but with wide angle the colors are very dull, the flash flashes and the light on the YS-D1 strobe lights up "green" stating that the results should be good but it is unfortunately far from that.

Settings used:

Camera:

Manual 60 or 125/1 sec F 2.8 to f8, ISO 160, flash on flash mode as there is no other setting in RAW format

Flash:

TTL with fibre cable

Cor

#9 A.J. O'Rourke

A.J. O'Rourke

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Scuba & Photography

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hi, I also purchased a Sea&Sea YS-D1 strobe...I have a Sony NEX-6 in a Meikon housing conected with S&S fibre optic cable. I have been using the DS-TTL 11 (blue light) but have been geeting crazy exposures. Do I need a TTL converter to use with DS-TTL11 (I carn't do with my housing) or just click back to the other S-TTL....confussed, plese help... :D

#10 A.J. O'Rourke

A.J. O'Rourke

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Scuba & Photography

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Hi There, 

I have the same problem but I have a Nauticam NA-GF3 with a Lumix DMC-GF3 inside and a YS-D1 Strobe, also I don't get great results in the TTL mode of this strobe, the camera on gives M great colors with macro but with wide angle the colors are very dull, the flash flashes and the light on the YS-D1 strobe lights up "green" stating that the results should be good but it is unfortunately far from that.

Settings used:

Camera:

Manual 60 or 125/1 sec F 2.8 to f8, ISO 160, flash on flash mode as there is no other setting in RAW format

Flash:

TTL with fibre cable

Cor

you may have to pump-up your ISO to 200 or 400 / I find best results with f14 - f18 / with 1/60 to 1/160  (whatever is your highist flash syc) Maybe go back to basics in A or S programe with flash on '0' just a suggestion...cheere mate. I'm also having probs with my YS-D1