• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pr0gen

Pr0gen

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

I definitely don't see myself having the financial ability to go for the top end stuff so here I was with a Canon T2i / 550D and a cheapo (by underwater SLR housing standards) Meikon housing. To those who know this housing, it doesn't allow access to the little gear wheel you access with your right hand's index finger so you have to go with Program mode most of the time.

I was too eager to start snapping and the first few photos seemed ok at 1/160 shutter speed so I didn't notice that the camera was actually on Manual and worsened by the fact that I was only relying on ambient light. Anyway, here're some of the better / more interesting shots I ended up with.

4u4z.jpg

jwre.jpg

1xx5.jpg

ymp3.jpg

oozi.jpg

Lens used was the cheapo kit 18 - 55mm IS (first generation IS lens). Might get the 18 - 55mm STM if future finances don't stretch into the Tokina 10 - 17mm after getting at least 1 strobe.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2985 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

Don't be too concerned that you can't afford the latest and greatest.  Your camera was the top of the line not that long ago.  I'm not familar with the Meikon housing but I'd recommend you do what you can to not shoot with the P mode.  The folks who wrote the software for the camera weren't thinking about people being underwater when they wrote the code.  I'd try to work in Manual and or Aperture Priority and if you can control the shutter speed etc.  

The Tokina will make a huge difference in your images because you'll be able to get so much closer to your subjects and limit the amount of water you have to shoot through.  That's whats causing the somewhat blurry look of some of your pictures like the moorish idol and cuttle for example.  If you can swing it the lens is really very inexpensive considering that you will be able to take it with you to your next body someday or worst case it will hold a large amount of its value if you decide to sell it.

I like the anemone fish shot and I'd say jump back in and shoot somemore.  Wouldn't hurt to get some practise in the pool first to get clear on what you can control with your housing.  

Have fun!

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom