• 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Nice morning dive on our local wreck last Friday, noteworthy for the unusual (on this site) school of 20+ eagle rays that hung around for most the dive, rather than the video quality - though I must say I'm v happy with the RX100

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#2 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Very nice, that wreck is really coming along nicely now. It has been a few years since I dived it so might be worth another visit soon.

Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#3 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

Ya it's always worth a dive, like so many wrecks you never know quite what you'll get. The Brisbane is not quite like diving Truk Lagoon but it's wonderfully preserved with plenty of swimthroughs and fish/macro life - also it's only 5 minutes off the coast where I live! :)

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#4 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

Fantastic catch! Did you use manual WB or a filter or correct it in post?

#5 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Actually as you may know the RX100 has a WB function that is a bit clunky, but it seems to work OK now I understand it better. So the answer is that as I didn't have a white slate on me for this casual dive I used a saved 'custom' WB setting that was taken some time ago on a white slate in a completely different environment (clear blue water in Indonesia - lol). The custom WB screen tells me it is 9900K but actually it looks a lot hotter than that as the C.Temp./Filter option on the RX100 when set to 9900k looks less red. It may be that 9900K is the max reading the RX100 registers. What took me a while to find is that there is a little square color chart that you can open up by pressing 'down' on the option ring in any of the WB choices, and then one can tweak RGBM etc.

If you don't have an RX100 then all the above will make no sense at all! So basically I used an old slate setting as really I didn't have anything else. I'm sure it didn't make much difference anyhow as there are not a lot of rich colours in any of the shots.

Haha - sorry for the long winded answer :)

Edited by NickJ, 23 February 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#6 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Great stuff,

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rays, Brisbane, RX100