• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The_Norwegian

The_Norwegian

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Looking for a first camera to take my diving to a new level. After reading reviews and articles I think I've landed on the Canon S100 (I think). As my budget is somewhat limited (and the camera no longer is produced) I'm thinking of buying a used one.

My question (one of many) is what brand of housing to go for? From what I understand the ikelite one gets mixed reviews, so maybe I'm better of buying a more expencive one?

I've also read that there has been some complaints about the battery? Will it last for a dive with a mix of photo and video?

As I live in Norway, the water is fairly dark/green so I need a camera with good «skills» in low light suroundings. I know it's recommended to get strobes as well, but for a start I think I'll use my Sola 1200 (gopro) video light.

Is the s100 a good choice?

So many questions.....

Jb

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

Maybe the S110 that does not have GPS I think is better. You can start with the canon housing as next step would be a Nauticam much better but more expensive

You may want to consider that in cold water plastic housings tend to fog as the camera gets warm and the plastic insulates it. With aluminum housing the water acts as a cooling device for the camera inside

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 The_Norwegian

The_Norwegian

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:02 AM

Hi. Yes, I just realised that yesterday, and secondhand the prize is more or less the same. I think I'll go for the 110. So, anyone with a s110 with a Meikon or canon housing for sale:)?

#4 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

I saw and used a S100 in the Ikelite housing and i think it is a inexpensive solution for beginners.

There was a excellent deal (+/- 600$) at Leisurepro for Camera and the small, clam type Ikelite housing.

The original Canon Housing is fine too, not as sturdy as a professional one but able to give you great moments,

and a good choice for a beginner.

Keep in mind that a strobe is almost mandatory, internal strobes work only reasonable in clear water.

Starting directly with a - even cheap one - external strobe will be make your learning curve a bit steeper,

but you will take higher quality pictures.

If you are not limited on size, the G series may be a option, but more expensive!

Taking a Digital Underwater Photographer class will inprove your pictures substantly in a short time

and during fun classes.

Chris

P.S. just found this offer, most likely out of your budget, but a killer system!!!
       http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52249&hl=

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 07 March 2014 - 02:50 PM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#5 The_Norwegian

The_Norwegian

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

Thanks, Chris.

Yes, I saw that package but it might be a bit to expencive. Also, I'm considering buying the s110 new from my local shop so I get the warranty and everything. But yes , if the housing and camera was just a bit cheaper I would go for it.

How did you find the battery on the s100? I see that there are some complaints. My dives are mainly less than 60 min, and I plan to use the cam for a mix of video and photos.

Joachim

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk

#6 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

Joachim,

we had no issues wih battery life on the S100, but my student took only pictures.

Video usually uses a lot more of battery than taking pictures.

The great thing about the FIX housing is that it gives you about 140-168° fov usinf the Inon lens and dome,

and that it is extremly small.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website