Photo
- - - - -

Which Eneloops to use with ys-110a...2000mAh or 2500mAh?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 joez2391

joez2391

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

Just picked up a pair of Sea & Sea YS-110a's but after some searching on the internet I know to buy Eneloop rechargeable batteries but I was confused with which power to pick up, I don't want to burn out the strobes or not maximize power output and recycle time.  Sorry if this has been asked before I just couldn't find it.  Thanks for the help! :)

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:10 AM

Don't get hung up on trying to use/find Eneloop. Most of the newer rechargeable batteries now use the same/similar technology.

I did the the same last year (trying to find Eneloop!) :)

After researching, I found out that the Energizer Recharge Power Plus (http://www.energizer...er-plus-aa.aspx) batteries are better, same tech and last longer.

The key difference these days, is that they can hold their charge for up to a year, where as the older type couldn't.

These Energizers can be found almost everywhere.

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:19 AM

It is not possible to burn a strobe with the wrong batteries as the delivered voltage is the same

What changes is the capacity. I use Ansmann 2500 mAh, eneloop X are also available at same capacity

The energiser batteries trickster mentions are 2300 mAh

Generally the more mAh the better however not always declared values correspond to real values

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 joez2391

joez2391

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:34 AM

awesome thanks so much for the help! I'm not really an electrical person and I probably would've ended up with the wrong power and fried my strobes haha.  I'll head out later and look for the Energizers, cant tell you how much easier this makes this and I don't have to wait for them to come in the mail :laugh: 

#5 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

I have used the Eneloop 2000mAh with my D1 strobes and they work well!

#6 joez2391

joez2391

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

good to know the 2000mAh work as well! I think I'm going to try the energizer ones for now and switch to the Eneloops if I'm not happy with the performance of the energizers

#7 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Do you really need the extra capacity of 2500mAh?  I looked into the 2500mAh version when they first came out.  Sanyo are claiming on 500 life cycles (ie charging cycles) for the 2500mAh version versus 1800 for the 2000mAh version.  The 2000mAh version had more than enough capacity for three to four dives a day with my Inon Z240 so I figured why pay more for capacity I didn't need and much lower overall battery life based on how many times they can be charged.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#8 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:18 AM

Generally speaking batteries die after a give time regardless of charging cycles
Unless you are a pro you are better off with the highest capacity as the batteries will be dead before you hit the charging limit. I use my strobe batteries for other tasks and have to throw them away after a few years regardless of how many charges I did

Edited by Interceptor121, 13 March 2014 - 07:18 AM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#9 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

It is not possible to burn a strobe with the wrong batteries as the delivered voltage is the same

What changes is the capacity. I use Ansmann 2500 mAh, eneloop X are also available at same capacity

The energiser batteries trickster mentions are 2300 mAh

Generally the more mAh the better however not always declared values correspond to real values

The INON manual says which battey types can be used, starting with Eneloops and equivalent "next generation" type NIMH,  other (good quality) NIMH, akalines and lithium.  then goes on to talk about high temperature, and voltage lost over time plus discharge rate.  I have successfully used Eneloops 2100 mah and lithiums non-rechargeable.

#10 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

The INON manual says which battey types can be used, starting with Eneloops and equivalent "next generation" type NIMH,  other (good quality) NIMH, akalines and lithium.  then goes on to talk about high temperature, and voltage lost over time plus discharge rate.  I have successfully used Eneloops 2100 mah and lithiums non-rechargeable.

Inon are very specific with their documentation, I proud myself of having read the whole z240 manual

Bad batteries especially Li-Ion can overheat and catch fire regardless of capacity

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#11 mcliffy2

mcliffy2

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

I also use the Ansmann 2500 mAh for S&S 110a strobes -- they work great.  Just bought mine from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...nsmann 2500 mAh

#12 Erbster

Erbster

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, sailing.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

I have sets of both the white 1800mAh and the black 2500mAh cells in my Inon Z-240s. They both last at least 4 dives for me. My intelligent charger often reports delivering over 2000mAh to the white ones if I run them flat (I usually change the batteries before they go flat). I bought lots of sets, because I use them in lots of other devices, as others have suggested.
Charles Erb

www.undersea-images.com
travellingaurora.wordpress.com

#13 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

In theory you should never run flat this type of battery so even if the batteries can do say 4 dives you should replace at 3.

I use a multiplier of declared spec say it is 200 full power cycles i go for 300 so when I get to 300 shots (don't go there to count if strobe or not) i replace them

In some instances (lots of shots at full power) i halve this time

There is nothing more annoying to be in water with a strobe and a set of dead batteries!!!

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog