• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Just recently got from a trip to Truk Lagoon. Truk Lagoon is the site of really an uknown battle called Operation Hailstone. This was basically our version of Pearl Harbor against the Japanese Fleet. I was there during the 70th anniversity of the battle. Here is a link to the history regarding the battle:

http://en.wikipedia....ation_Hailstone

This picture is from the Fujikawa Maru. By those that have been there before this air compressor is referred to as R2D2.

p141806139-4.jpg

Not all the guides will take someone to this area. The superstructure on this wreck is failing. It has been in the water now for 70 years.

Hope all enjoy this pic as much as I do.

#2 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

That's a nice example of a "classic" shot: it's also interesting, as I read somewhere (over the weekend) that the workshop had collapsed and R2D2 couldn't be visited any more! Which would have been very disappointing, as I'm visiting Truk for the second time in May...

#3 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

That's a nice example of a "classic" shot: it's also interesting, as I read somewhere (over the weekend) that the workshop had collapsed and R2D2 couldn't be visited any more! Which would have been very disappointing, as I'm visiting Truk for the second time in May...

I was just there and went into the room. It is a easy to get to. Who are you diving with? If you are diving on the Odyseey, hopefully Madison is working when you are there. He will take you into it.

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

It is a easy to get to. Who are you diving with?

I saw R2D2 several years ago, but had a very early digital camera: I've had some ideas about using a modern system and setting up more interesting lighting (very cautiously in the confined space)!

I have several days with Blue Lagoon before joining Odyssey, and, really, I'm agog!

Thanks for starting the thread.

#5 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

I saw R2D2 several years ago, but had a very early digital camera: I've had some ideas about using a modern system and setting up more interesting lighting (very cautiously in the confined space)!

I have several days with Blue Lagoon before joining Odyssey, and, really, I'm agog!

Thanks for starting the thread.

Your welcome. We stayed at the Blue Lagoon while we waited for our flight out of Chuuk. We were looking at the costs of diving at Blue Lagoon and man they are expensive. By the time you added up the cost of food, tanks, and so forth you were better off diving off the Odyssey. Even the rooms at the Blue Lagoon were pretty primtive.

Also, the big thing to me would be the long as boat rides out to the dive sites. The Odyssey pulls right up to the site and moors on top of the wreck. The only advantage of the Blue Lagoon to me would if you were to dive the Betty Bomber or something where there are only a couple of divers on the wreck.

I am going back to Truk I hope in 2016 and spend 2 weeks on the Odyssey and maybe a couple of days at Blue Lagoon max to dive a couple of the other wrecks. One wreck  I really like is the San Francisco Maru. That wreck is beautiful and is upright.

#6 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:16 AM

I'm diving with Blue Lagoon as well as with the Odyssey. It seems a bit silly to travel halfway around the world and worry about money, or just to spend a week with the wrecks. In 2004 Blue Lagoon put us on wrecks when the big boats were elsewhere, so it was a real privilege to see great wrecks and be almost alone.

The Shinkoku and Nippo Maru were my favourites in 2004, but I never dived the San Francisco (although I did dive the Aikoku: go figure).

I've never understood why divers expect fancy rooms in the back of beyond: the Blue Lagoon was OK in 2004, and doesn't seem to have changed much. Perhaps I'm easily pleased...

#7 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:39 AM

Classic shot. Well done.

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#8 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

I just got done uploading more pictures to my gallery. To see pictures from my trip, please go to the following:

Truk Lagoon Operation Hailstone