#1 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:48 AM

Hi Folks,

Anyone any good at IDing stingrays? This biggy was almost 2m across, shot back in 2002ish I think in the Gulf of Masirah, Oman. Having filed it away and not thought much about it, I then saw a doco about Mozambique, saying this was the first time Small-Eyed Stingrays (Dasyatis microps) had every been filmed at that this was the only place they'd ever been seen alive. Of course, my one is probably just something different and common as muck......

Anyway here is the video I shot in Oman:

Compare with a video from Mozambique:

This was not the only one we saw, there were several at the surface, often shadowed by a smaller ray (male following a female?) and I've seen them on several occasions.

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#2 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

I agree with Dasyatis microps, very nice find :good: The general colouration is right and the markings on upper disc. Disc shape and proportions

also match, as does the markedly tapered tail beyond the sting. Only the location is an anomaly, as in not previously recorded, that I could find.

That's not a big one for me as its assumed to be a semi-pelagic and has been sighted in many other parts of Indian Ocean from Northern

Australia to Mozambique as you mentioned.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#3 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

Sharkwatch Arabia were asking for sightings of this species on their FB page- https://www.facebook...55044651&type=3

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#4 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

Hi  Jim,

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll get in touch with Sharkwatch Arabia, I actually already know many of those involved. 

Just found out it's mentioned in Fishes of Oman by Randall, as possibly having been described in Oman in 1944, but misidentified as Trygon gerradi

Cheers

Fergus

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website