• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10671 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

Normally it's all glum news but this silver lining came up last month.  Indonesia recognized the revenue potential of manta tourism and has come up with legislation to protect mantas in Indonesia waters.  It is still unclear how implementation and enforcement is going to be handled in the 10000+ islands with their various provinces, but it is going in the right direction!

http://wetpixel.com/...manta-sanctuary

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

That sounds like a good start.  Of course, it remains to be determined how well it is implemented, but at least they are recognizing the need which is a plus.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#3 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

Good to hear them finally succumb to the pressure of the Eco tourists. Shows they know who butters their bread for the long term.

#4 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

Great news :clapping:  but as said the implementation/enforcement will be the tricky bit.

Cheers,

Jim.

Underwater Images   My portfolio on Redbubble   Topside Nature Images

In between housings, Nikon, 60mm, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#5 seawildearth

seawildearth

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, Photography, Family, Oceans, Conservation

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

Shot last week on Lombok, Indo, someone needs to tell the fishermen. A still taken from GoPro Hero 3+ footage and edited in photoshop.

Attached Images

• MantaBod.jpg

Edited by seawildearth, 28 April 2014 - 05:24 PM.

"A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"

#6 donsimondo

donsimondo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

Hello. always encouraging to see people valuing their natural heritage in sustainable ways (alive for example!).

I would agree - following through on laws i.e. securing convictions is critical in any wildlife crime story. All told- it is estimated to be a $20 billion "industry" when you pile in all the ivory, pangolins, tigers, reptile skins, turtles and birds for pets, bushmeat, plants stolen for gardens, fish for aquaria etc etc.

Conviction and sentencing seem to be one part of a puzzle - a puzzle that changes shape depending on what country and what species you are dealing with, but which has similar pieces irrespective: creating legal frameworks, generating awareness, providing alternatives to local communities, knowing the species, coordinating with international bodies and ensuring the law is enforced. As a consequence, the difficulty of realising change seems especially daunting when dealing with international trade in marine species. My day-job involves working with NGOs involved in species conservation and it never ceases to amaze me the myriad subtleties that can derail a project or scupper its chances of success...if there is one common denominator, one thing it all boils down to-  it is people.. and sometimes those people have few alternatives or few obvious cash ready alternatives. through work, I've "seen" it with the Vaquita in the Gulf of Mexico as well as positively so in Gabon and Bangladesh - it doesn't always have to be eco-tourism: locals can enjoy their natural heritage too for any of numerous reasons! And sometimes it makes sense to convict the poacher and sometimes it doesn't: sometimes the poacher has no alternative, sometimes he/she is just a pawn behind which an extensive and sinister network of contacts disappears among the shadows of shipping containers, false papers, unmarked roads and coded phone calls... As regads Manta rays and other mobulids, I think 99% of the world market for the gill plates of Mantas are destined for Guangzhou. Another one of the NGOs we work with spends most of its efforts collaborating with Chinese celebrities to produce influential Public Service Announcements all centred around the idea that "when the buying stops, the killing will too"...that is compelling but it cannot work on its own..as mentioned, it depends on the socio-economic-political infrastructure of the country and culture in question.. but as in all civil societies, the will to create and enforce laws will play a role..that said, without love nothing would ever change for the better..just my opinion