4 replies to this topic

#1 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1766 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

Hi all,

Welcome to the Wetpixel mirrorless forum. We hope it will be a place to discuss mirrorless cameras, housings for them and appropriate accessories.

In terns of image sharing, please post your images to the Photo and Gallery Showcase but by all means link to them from here.

Similarly, there has already been a huge amount of discussion about mirrorless cameras on the forums. Rather than trying to port it all into this forum, can I suggest that we post links to relevant topics in the "best of" topic that I have pinned to this forum.

Enjoy!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Excellent. Thanks Adam. Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 jander4454

jander4454

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

Thank you Adam.

Sony a6000 in Nauticam with Inon D-2000 flashes
www.nudibranch.org/

#4 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

Thanks...I am glad to see this,

#5 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:46 AM

So...at the risk of being a contary opinion, I'm not a huge fan of the mirrored/mirrorless categorization.  I think it's too late for one thing - the micro43rds have been discussed for years in the SLR forum - and I also think that these days its a little bit of a meaningless designation.  Defining a camera class not by its features and housing aspects but based on something it doesn't have??

Both SLR's and many but not all mirrorless are "single lens" designs, whether they provide viewfinding only with the rear screen or with an EVF, the 'viewfinder covers the actual sensor view' behavior is preserved.  Many mirrorless also provide PDAF on lens (and the SLT's are another midway providing it but not the viewfinding with a reflection).  There's no longer any meaningful sensor size distinction either with mirrorless having anywhere from sub-4:3rds (Nikon's tiny ones) up to FF sensors.   For that matter there are now full frame digicams...and everyone has video.

The only major distinction these days seems to be between interchangable lens cameras, and not (oops, there's that designation-by-absence again) at least as it pertains to underwater shooting since one needs lens selection and port selection...and the other might only take wet external lenses or filters.  That, and intended usage/interest, so of course having a video vs. stills forum distinction still has a lot of meaning with lights vs. strobes, and processing and all.

Seems to me that the posting frequency here at WP in general has dropped off a lot in recent years, and fragmenting too much for too little distinct difference in behavior (without cleaning up much of the history) is just confusing and ultimately not beneficial.  Maybe DSLR guys didn't like all the mirrorless discussions in "their" forum (?)  but I think in a few more years with on-sensor PDAF development and faster chip readouts, the true classic "DSLR" design may go the way of the film SLR in becoming a small niche, while these hybrid designs take over.  Assuming cell phone cameras and POV video sets like GoPro don't just take over the whole imaging market first... heh.

Anyway I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one, but recent posting patterns despite the new forum option just made me chime in regardless.  Feel free to ignore me.  My wife does. ;)

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...