• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Storker

Storker

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

When recording video with my E-M5, I've noticed I have a weird background noise to all of my videos. It can be heard here. First time, I believed it was the engine of the boat we were diving from, but as I've been taking more videos, I hear it on every video. It's not there when I take videos topside, without the housing.

I've been experimenting a bit topside, and it seems as if the sound comes when the camera is moved. When I'm supporting the housing on my knee, it disappears shortly, but as soon as I'm panning it returns. It seems to be the same whether or not I use stabilizing, so I'd appreciate tips on possible causes and ways to avoid the noise. It's pretty annoying, and I'd like to be able to use the underwater sounds as a background to the soundtrack.

Gear setup: OM-D E-M5 in Nauticam NA-EM5, M Zuiko 9-18mm f/4-5.6, 4" dome port, Inon Z240.

Edited by Storker, 23 March 2014 - 01:49 AM.

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:42 AM

It could be the autofocus. See what happens if you focus lock.

Either way underwater I usually set audio to off as there is nothing really exciting in the sounds with very few exceptions

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

Most likely the image stabilisation whirring noise.

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#4 dutch

dutch

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

I had a similar problem a while ago and many people suggested it was the image stabilisation. I cant tell you how to fix it as the noise mine was making stopped abruptly and i havent heard it since. Maybe try resetting the firmware? 

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:46 PM

When recording video with my E-M5, I've noticed I have a weird background noise to all of my videos. It can be heard here. First time, I believed it was the engine of the boat we were diving from, but as I've been taking more videos, I hear it on every video. It's not there when I take videos topside, without the housing.

I've been experimenting a bit topside, and it seems as if the sound comes when the camera is moved. When I'm supporting the housing on my knee, it disappears shortly, but as soon as I'm panning it returns. It seems to be the same whether or not I use stabilizing, so I'd appreciate tips on possible causes and ways to avoid the noise. It's pretty annoying, and I'd like to be able to use the underwater sounds as a background to the soundtrack.

Gear setup: OM-D E-M5 in Nauticam NA-EM5, M Zuiko 9-18mm f/4-5.6, 4" dome port, Inon Z240.

If the noise is there with Image stabilization is off and you are panning is the lens auto focus motor nothing to do with image stabilisation

When you pan and your lens is in continuous focus as it should be in movie mode you get noise as the lens adjusts. Inside the housing this is amplified as external sounds are attenuated. If your camera has a way to focus lock set it on and then try panning the camera in a quiet environment with and without focus lock.

I had once a little videocamera with an underwater housing with no image stabiliser and when I was panning it I got the noise. This was never noticeable outside water but once in the housing it got is a way amplified

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog