172 replies to this topic

#161 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:30 AM

Define hugely incorrect please?

In general terms means there will be some specific situations that it could fog but that depends on what those are.

Edited: Admin

Edited by adamhanlon, 03 April 2014 - 08:56 AM.
Not related to topic-personal attack

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#162 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

Obviously this needs some extensive testing.  I suggest we send a dedicated and unbiased researcher (that would be me) to the Caribbean for a grueling two-week regimen of test dives.  I will thoroughly document the testing process and advise you of the results upon my return home.  In regard to funding this research, please send a PM and I will send you my paypal address. 

Now about this Scotch Mist; does adding lemon peel to a nice whisky really create an enjoyable beverage?  I have my doubts but could probably experiment with that as well during the above two-week research project.  No additional funding would be required for this.  Plus, I could watch for condensation on my glass as I go from an air-conditioned room to the patio and supplement the fogging data.

#163 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:31 AM

given water temperature. In your scenario, if the water temp was 22c, there would be no possibility of condensation no?

Correct, If the water temperature is not low enough to cause the housing wall to drop to the dew point (18°C in the example) then condensate will not form.

In response to Draq's comment, I think there may be a substance called Berrrr-bonne (sp?) manufactured by a Mr. Daniels in Kentucky that will cause you to not care about condensation. :)

Edited by diverdoug1, 03 April 2014 - 05:36 AM.

#164 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Obviously this needs some extensive testing.  I suggest we send a dedicated and unbiased researcher (that would be me) to the Caribbean for a grueling two-week regimen of test dives.  I will thoroughly document the testing process and advise you of the results upon my return home.  In regard to funding this research, please send a PM and I will send you my paypal address. 

Now about this Scotch Mist; does adding lemon peel to a nice whisky really create an enjoyable beverage?  I have my doubts but could probably experiment with that as well during the above two-week research project.  No additional funding would be required for this.  Plus, I could watch for condensation on my glass as I go from an air-conditioned room to the patio and supplement the fogging data.

Can't help with funding, but I'm very happy to supply a pressure cooker (possibly a head to put in it to check for results ;)), along with a small tub of water, some ice cubes and a copy of Nuffield A-level Physics test book (1987 edition), all obviously essential elements for your tests :D
Visit bottlefish.net for my personal web site.
Visit Black Flag TV Ltd if you'd like to hire me or any of our cameras.

#165 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

:deadhorse:  

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#166 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

:antitroll:

#167 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

removed

Edited by Interceptor121, 03 April 2014 - 11:02 PM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#168 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

Post removed.

Edited by Stuart Keasley, 03 April 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#169 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

Actually made me think that vacuum may actually increase the humidity in the housing

Example: housing with 100 grams of air 2 grams of moisture in the air 0.5 grams of moisture trapped in the camera. Moisture/Air 2.5/100=2.5%

Create vacuum -200 mbar 80 grams of air 1.6 grams of moisture in the air 0.5 grams of moisture trapped in the camera. Moisture/Air 2.1/80=2.625%

I would say that is not possible to draw any conclusions on the effect of vacuum as the amount of moisture in the camera is unknown but certainly not zero so things could actually get worse with more vacuum

Edited by Interceptor121, 03 April 2014 - 11:03 PM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#170 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Post removed.

Edited by Stuart Keasley, 03 April 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#171 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:15 PM

I don't think you can assume zero moisture in it though even if you don't have water

A camera will tend to attract moisture like anything else and once warm this moisture will release in the housing increasing humidity this may be a much more prevailing effect than removing the gas from the housing

This also reconciles the housing in the sun scenario with subsequent fogging

Generally it is impossible to determine the effect of vacuum in terms of condensation as the moisture in the camera is unknown. There could or not be a benefit depending on the temperature of the air, the air relative humidity and how those interact but this could or not improve matters

In essence I would say that camera and housing preparation for what I am concerned stay the same and keep hoping for the best!!!

Edited by Interceptor121, 03 April 2014 - 11:36 PM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#172 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

:sleepbig:

#173 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:35 AM

Doug and I have sorted out our different views and come up with a number of positive suggestions elsewhere.

I would like to apologise that this got out of control, it is silly that two people passionate about something end up arguing really unexcusable

Anyway thanks to Doug and some other I have a complete understanding of some tricky fogging situations that occurred in the past and I will post some of those tips at some point

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog