• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 06:44 AM

Anyone use the Image Tank? It is the most affordable mobile storage solution, IMO.

Cheers
James

http://www.insidecom...getank/buy.html

Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 10:51 AM

I use one. Got it for $300 including a 10GB disc. It's very simple; has slots for SM and CP cards, push one button to store, has a USB connection to connect to a PC.

Herb
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#3 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 09:12 AM

I have one, too and have reviewed it a couple times in other threads. I, too, got 10GB of storage for under $300. If all you want to do is store pictures until you get home, it is a decent solution, though there are other new ones out there that have more features.

Pros:

Cost effective
Small
Integral slots for SM, CF, (i.e., no PC card swapping if you use both of these kinds of cards)
Ability to put in whatever size hard-drive you can find (if you get the no-hard-drive version)

Cons:

Not truly portable w/o an external battery pack (there is no internal re-chargeable battery; it comes with a holder for 6 AAs; it is compatible with external powerpacks (e.g., Maha))
AC adapter is a bit Rube-Golberg-ian
No ability to see pictures
No ablilty to navigate the menu structure (once something is saved there, you can only access the files by plugging it into a computer
Only supports CF and SM

Another interesting thing -- they show a Memory Stick on the ad you've linked to -- the Image Tank (or Bank) is not compatible with Memory stick!

One more thing: the product site (at www.simacorp.com) has links to three third-party reviews . . .

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 02:27 PM

Thanks guys!

I'm thinking I will get an Image Tank now that I have a DSLR and 1 gigabyte microdrive. If I fill the Microdrive up w/ RAW's, I can dump it onto the image tank. I don't need the image preview really.

When I get home, I can drop the hard drive into my Firewire hard drive bay and zip - whoosh - blam - it's on my home PC.

Too bad about the batteries and AC Adapter - but what do you expect for "bare bones" I guess.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org