• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:59 AM

Some time ago, there was a funny thread going around here that listed some "rules" for underwater photography. Most contained solid guidance and some were pretty funny...

I'm conducting a photo workshop this week and would love to include this information (with due credit given of course!), but I haven't been able to locate it...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Stu

Edited by Stoo, 25 March 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#2 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

The following page has some we follow: http://www.aquablued...ticpages/pid/14

Our Guidelines to Nature Photography

1. Always try to minimize our impact on the subject.
  2. We will not move, handle, coax or prod any animal to capture a “better” image.
  3. We will not move, handle or disturb any coral or other structure to get a “better” image of a subject.
  4. We will be very conscious of our buoyancy in an attempt to avoid coming in contact with the reef or bottom.
  5. Only one finger on the reef (dead section) to capture a image.* If this is not possible than we will forgo the image.
  6. If we see a fellow diver harming the reef or its creatures intentionally or by accident we will no longer keep silent. We will try, with as much tact as possible, to raise the subject of protecting that which we have all come to SEE!
  7. We will let guides know that we do not look for them to manipulate in any way the creatures and settings we have come to capture in pixels.

#3 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

from an old discussion

http://wetpixel.com/...hl=commandments

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3015 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

Every time I read an underwater photography rule I end up discovering an exception to it.  I finally resorted to things to try to remember instead.  A quick search here didn’t find the rules you seek so I offer these thoughts we can ponder and improve.

1. It’s better to keep the camera dry
  2. Try to remember air is more important than the picture
  3. Don’t touch life in the ocean unless it’s their idea
  4. Try to remember to put a card in the camera (or film for those who remember what that is)
  5. Try to remember to take the lens cap off
  6. The ocean is not purple
  7. If you’re not having fun you’re doing it wrong
  8. You’re not close enough
  9. Life is short, don’t worry about any rules

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

The following page has some we follow: http://www.aquablued...ticpages/pid/14

1. Always try to minimize our impact on the subject.
  2. We will not move, handle, coax or prod any animal to capture a “better” image.
  3. We will not move, handle or disturb any coral or other structure to get a “better” image of a subject.
  4. We will be very conscious of our buoyancy in an attempt to avoid coming in contact with the reef or bottom.
  5. Only one finger on the reef (dead section) to capture a image.* If this is not possible than we will forgo the image.
  6. If we see a fellow diver harming the reef or its creatures intentionally or by accident we will no longer keep silent. We will try, with as much tact as possible, to raise the subject of protecting that which we have all come to SEE!
  7. We will let guides know that we do not look for them to manipulate in any way the creatures and settings we have come to capture in pixels.

Are you sure you remember that right? I seem to recall the rules as follows   :mocking:

1. Always try to maximize our impact on the budget.
  2. We will move, plead, coax or prod any spouse to capture a “better” camera.
  3. We will not crop, photoshop or fake any shot to get a “better” image of a subject.
  4. We will be very conscious of our solvency in an attempt to avoid coming in contact with the bottom line.
  5. Only one loan on the house to capture a image.* If this is not possible than we will forgo rule one
  6. If we see a fellow diver harming our ego intentionally or by accident we will no longer keep silent. We will try, with as much tact as possible, to raise our budget to buy that which we want others to SEE!
  7. We will let bankers know that we look for them to manipulate the market in any way so our futures and savings allow us to capture our pixels.

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#6 coinee

coinee

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

1. Try to remember to take the lens cap off

Good point. Also, make sure the lens on your M4/3 camera is actually locked.  :mocking:

#7 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3015 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

There is a reason I'm holding a lens cap in my profile image ;-)

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#8 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2102 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:51 AM

I seem to recall the rules as follows   :mocking:

1. Always try to maximize our impact on the budget.
  2. We will move, plead, coax or prod any spouse to capture a “better” camera.
  3. We will not crop, photoshop or fake any shot to get a “better” image of a subject.
  4. We will be very conscious of our solvency in an attempt to avoid coming in contact with the bottom line.
  5. Only one loan on the house to capture a image.* If this is not possible than we will forgo rule one
  6. If we see a fellow diver harming our ego intentionally or by accident we will no longer keep silent. We will try, with as much tact as possible, to raise our budget to buy that which we want others to SEE!
  7. We will let bankers know that we look for them to manipulate the market in any way so our futures and savings allow us to capture our pixels.

There's an unnecessary "not" in rule 3: if you're an aficionado of dubious US crime TV, please have a Gibbs' slap...

#9 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

TD the trick is to get your spouse hooked on the hobby!  Got soooo lucky with that:)

Edited by NWDiver, 27 March 2014 - 06:53 AM.