• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sameguy

sameguy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

I am a new forum member here.  Been lurking for a week or so and throughout I'd better introduce myself.

I started diving back in 1990 in order to be able to get into the Undersea program at Brooks Institute where I was going to school at the time.  Like most new divers I was ecstatic about the sport and even more so about shooting under water.  I spent most of my time in Santa Barbara diving as much as possible, to the detriment of my education much of the time.

At that time Brooks was pretty tight with a few of the heavy hitters in underwater photography.  Bob Talbot, Howard Hall, Louis Preslin, Ernest Brooks of course.  Rubbing elbows with some of the greats made a huge impression on me and it started to look like to wasn't out of the realm of possibility that I could focus my love of diving and education in photography into a career in that field.  After graduation I spent about a year networking with all of the contacts I had made to try to get my foot in the door with someone in the field.  Unfortunately the closest I got was an interview with Jean Michelle Cousteau on a project his team was doing in Fiji.  I didn't get that gig, apparently beat out by a much better looking intern of the female persuasion, lol.  

At this juncture I was running low on funds my enthusiasm was waning for underwater work with little more than an offer of working as a dive master for a dive instructor for very little pay.  I moved to San Francisco and worked in Commercial photography for 9 years and can count on one hand the times I went diving after that.   

After that I had a successful (for a time) digital imaging and fine art printing business in Dallas.  Unfortunately this took me far from any diving and my gear just collected dust in the garage.  Another move back to Wyoming into a completely unrelated field and here I am today.

While looking around for a family vacation I stumbled across some dive resorts.  After polling the family wether they would like a tropical beach vacation or wanted to learn to dive the decision was unanimous.  Looks like we will be heading to Roatan in June.

This of course got me all fired up to do some photography.  I just picked up a used Aquatica Housing for a song for my 5D and am in the process of picking out everything else I will need.  Looking forward to picking the brains of the members here, it appears there have been a few changes in the field since me and my trusty Nionos III plied the waters.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3022 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Welcome to Wetpixel!

Recovering Nikonos shooters are welcome here.  

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 eman

eman

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hello there! great to meet you