I am wrapping up setup of Nikon 16-35 for my D700 in Sea&Sea housing and need to make a decision on extension size. I plan to use Sea&Sea 240 dome.
Extension size seems to be the key for sharpness based on information I have found here and at other places so I am taking some time to make a decision here.
I see people using the following extensions for this lens on variety of FF Nikon cameras, housings and ports:
1. 60mm - default Hugyfot solution for 8'' dome port
2. 63.5mm - default Aquatica solution for 9.25'' dome port
3. 70mm - default Nauticam solution for 8.5 '' dome port + have seen people with Sea&Sea housing using exactly this size with some custom solutions for Zen 230
4. 80mm - default Sea&Sea solution (as 2 times 40mm extension) for my exact dome --> manufacturer recommended solution
5. 90mm - default Subal solution as one 90mm extension for Subal big dome ports
I do understand that each setup is specific, but still I am not sure what is the best option for my setup.
Sea&Sea recommendation is I believe based on the fact that they have only 40mm and 20mm extensions and therefore this could be perceived as best compromise and not really best overall solution. 70mm is just below and 90mm is just above so I am really considering these along 80mm to be maybe the best option and willing to stretch for an extra mile if needed to get there.
I can not experiment so what I decide now will most probably be what I will use on the next 2 trips I have in next 2 months.
1. Does anyone has real-life experience with Nikon 16-35, Sea&Sea housing and Sea&Sea 240 dome?
2. Does anyone without this specific setup has a solid opinion on what I should use for my setup?
3. What do you think of combining 2 Sea&Sea extensions without lock since that looks like a bit risky to me?