• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Featonby

Rob Featonby

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

I'm using a nikon 1 aw1 with the 11-27mm lens and setting the built in flash to manual 1/32 power to optically slave a sb105 for off camera flash . I'm after a budget second slave flash , sb105 strobes are about $250 , are
there any newer quality options around the same price I should consider or my other thought is to dry bag a cheap land flash .
My other thought is to increase the stock depth limit on the aw1 of 15 metres by also dry bagging it - if the bag does leak slightly the water should only slosh around harmlessly . A catostrophic flood would be a different matter . Any thoughts ?
Currently shooting topside nikon d800 with lots of lovely glass , nikon 1 v1 10-30mm 30-110 mm ft1 adapter , underwater- nikon 1 aw1 11-27mm ,sb105 , mothballed - a couple of nikon f801 film bodies and subal housings with a variety of ports .

#2 luxemiles

luxemiles

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:04 AM

i shoot with nikon 1 j3 and nikon wpn2 housing.

the nikon 1 series are really good for underwater use!

it is the only camera that i know that can take a FULL resolution photo WHILE you are recording, so you can get both those precious underwater videos and photos!

now for the flas, why don't you buy a sea and sea velcro flash adapter? you can then tape it to the AW and connect it to another  ysd1.

ysd1 and nikon 1 is great as they are easy, versatile, and have optical TLL !

how is your aw? i think the problem with aw is placement of the flash. how deep can you go with that without issues?

#3 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

About a dry bag, it is an extra safety, but it wont help if it leaks at depth, as there will be full ambient pressure on the housing anyway. The dry bag will seem vaccum wrapped onto the camera.

Cheers/O

#4 luxemiles

luxemiles

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Depht limits are usuallly conservative for waterpoof cameras manufacturers.

I have a sony tx 30, depht limit 5 meters, but i took it on MANY dives, and it usually works until 20 meters. More than that, the buttons does not work.

The tx 30 takes great videos and photos underwater! In my opinion, it is a lot better than go pro ( i have a go pro), more versatile, fast shutter, and it allow you to see what you are shooting.

I carry the tx30 as my backup dive camera.

So have you dare to tried to test the limits of your nikon aw?