• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steen Nissen

Steen Nissen

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

There are lots of reviews out there, on housings for the D7100, but I can not find any on the Hugyfot housing. 

Maybe somebody in here, using it, would like to share some input ?

Steen 

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

I can tell you some things about the Hugyfot D7000 housing as i have one (and a D800 too) and the housing for the D7100 won't be very different.

Basically a great housing, comfortable to hold, a wide choice of ports and the best,
the first vacuum leak detector and leak alarm ever made included in this well priced housing.

Some people complain that the buttons and wheels are not very ergonomic,

this is because the buttons and wheels are there where they are on the camera and that makes their function easy to remember.

Other complaint where that the have issues with manufacturing tolerances, i had on both housings no issues with manufacturing tolerances,

the only thing is that changing the port is somehow rough and need a bit of force to lock it in position, but once locked he stay put.

Another great thing is that the two half shells of the housings are bolted together with a allen headed bolt and that makes it impossible that it opens

by it self for whatever reason.

The HugyCheck, their vacuum leak detector works perfectly and should be considered as the best system on the market and without any doubt the oldest

and most experienced leak detection system, including also a water alarm if there should be a - from the user - undetected leak.

The vacuum inside the housing makes it also impossible to open the housing or that it snaps open and/or that the port become loose,

once the housing is depressurized it will stay closed until you unscrew the vacuum release valve

Hugyfot has a great customer service directly at their plant in Belgium and that makes it handy for us Europeans to ship it there for servicing.

If i should buy another housing i would buy a Hugyfot again!

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 02 April 2014 - 04:57 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 Steen Nissen

Steen Nissen

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

Thanks Chris.

I already know Hugyfot, as I am housing my D90 in one. Overall I have been very satisfied, but there are few things, I think needs to be improved. That's why I wanted to know about the housing for the D7100.

I am pretty sure my next housing is going to be a Hugyfot too.

#4 Terry K.

Terry K.

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hello,

I hope someone out there can help me, but I have two 'questions / problems' with my new housing, the Hugyfot for a Nikon D7100.

Is the manual on the DVD old? Because some - many! - of the pictures are not the same as the housing I have and I can't follow the images or the instructions.

The first one is that the connecting hotshoe in my housing does not have the 2 LEDs that are shown in the picture in the manual. 

And the information to "check the function and battery status...the red and yellow LED on the black circuit board (left hand side of the housing)...", the picture is completely different and I can't see any such things.

The second is a BIGGER problem, because the mounting plate - with the tripod screw - does not fit the camera. On the mounting plate there is a small screw on the right side. I think it should fit into the hole in the base of the camera, but it doesn't - the distance between the tripod screw and the small screw on the right is not the same as the tripod hole and the small hole in the base of the camera.

I took the small screw out the base plate (using one of the Allen keys) and then the camera will fit on the base plate - but the camera then will not stay completely still in the same position  - it turns a little when I put it in the housing, and then it doesn't line up with all the controls.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me, please?

Hoping to hear from someone soon.

Sincerely,

Terry. 

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

Terry,

yes the manual is old and very generic!

There are no 2 leds showing the function status and battery level, there are only 2 led showing the function of the HugyCheck system

This two leds are (on the D7000 and D800 housing) now on left, lower side of the camera mounting plate attached with an velcro pad and they are basically 2 LED lamps with a velcro around it.
and they are showing the HugyCheck vacuum level.

The small pin holding the camera aligned with the camera mounting plate have to fit the small hole on the camera body.
If you hold the mounting plate the right way and it still not fit the hole, it may be:
a) the wrong camera mounting plate, for a different camera (most likely a mistake while packing the camera)

b) the hole is drilled in the wrong location

Please contact HugyFot in Belgium regarding your problems, Pascal is alwasy very helpful to support you!

Best Regards

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

#6 Terry K.

Terry K.

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

Thanks Chris. I've got sorted with the base plate for the camera now - thanks - but I am now struggling with the alarm system. I bought the Hugy new from Fotografit in Denmark and Lars there has been very good with e-mail help to my questions. But I'm in Tokyo, and as far as I know there is no outlet or service support in Japan for Hugyfot. The manual is really no use with the new housing - the photos and instructions don't fit anything - even the handles!!! I've installed the battery for the Hugycheck, but no LEDs are lighting up, no audible alarms, and I can't figure out how to get the Hugycheck working. I'm going try a new battery tomorrow, but I really need some CLEAR instructions and help with the alarm check - set up, etc.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Terry.

#7 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

i Terry,

as i already wrote: write to info@hugyfot.com and ask Pascal Eeckhoudt directly.

Pascal is very helpful and will clear all your problems.

My 2013 D800 came with the same 2009 generic manual, but the basics are the same, tha handles are different and much more easy and sturdy.

The circuit board is the same and the settings as shown in the manual you have are the right ones.

Rechecking with my HugyFot housings i can confirm that:

Power from battery goes to lowest right connector J8 power Socket, both cables go lower pins, black left, red all right
LED goes to uppermost connector J2, violet cable uppermost pin

Strobe Bulkhead goes to upper central connector J3, cables looking upwards

Doublecheck that the connectors are the right way inserted!!!

Check that the Battery is the right way inserted!!!

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 05 October 2014 - 09:04 AM.