3 replies to this topic

#1 pointy

pointy

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:24 AM

Hello Anyone,

After buying a ticket from a discount travel agent, onetravel.com (AKA cheapoair.com), I discovered that my ticket did not entitle me to any checked baggage allowance at all - and only 7 K carry-on. When I later tried to purchase a baggage allowance, neither the travel agent nor the airline (Flydubai) would sell it to me. Flydubai told me that, since I have no allowance, I would have to pay $10/K during check-in for any checked bags, but there was no guarantee that any of my luggage would be allowed aboard at that time. The guy at Flydubai seemed to enjoy giving me this bad news when I talked to him on the phone.

Has anyone out there had recent experience flying between Dubai and Port Sudan? I'm trying to guess how much trouble I'll actually have getting my stuff to and from PS. Are the people at check-in likely to be as unaccommodating as their agents? Is it likely that my carry-on will be weighed? Any advice to sort this out?

John McCracken 

#2 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

Some times you get what you pay for and some times you don't!

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#3 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:52 AM

Long time ago I was there. Back then we used to fly from Cairo to Port Sudan on Sudan Air. Sometimes delays, once a pretty run-down Yak. But most of the time a fairly modern Airbus.

#4 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:27 AM

Yeah, thats the backdraw of "cheapoair" and friends, somewhere the need to get the money to offer low fares...

I know from divers the had to  pay 10-20$ per kilo leaving Egypt to avoid missing their flight and 2 years ago i went to Oman

instead of Egypt as the excess weight for my luggage was more than 1 week all inclusive on a last minute offer.

Charter flights from Italy have nowadays 1 checked piece of 15 kilo and 5-10 kilo of carry-on and
that is probably not even enough for a normal, non diver...

For all the gear i carry with me i usually fly cheaper and more relaxed choosing carefully the airline and their baggage allowances.

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website