• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

I have been using Nex5r in a 10Bar housing for one year. Well, this housing does not support 10-18 OSS F4 or I need very tricky way to attach the lens. Obviously Nauticam builds much better housing. I also has an A7r but the AF speed is too slow. It is very logical to wait for the newer macro Zeiss lens and for the housing...

Current A7 housing from Nauticam does support A7s

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home

#22 Marsh

Marsh

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

I'm sure the A6000 housing will be quite popular, as the camera is an affordable 24MP high IQ body.  The Zeiss 12mm WA has been declared the sharpest and highest IQ WA for UW work.  I'm sure the Z50 will be right up there in IQ, maybe a bit short in length, but at least a 1:1 macro.  I've suggested to Zeiss to make a sharp 1.4 E-mount TC, but I doubt that will ever happen, even though the engineer thought it was a great idea, as they do make TC's for other platforms.

Too bad Nauticam decided not to support the Z16-70 zoom that Stuart uses in his FS700. I played around with it when it first came out and wanted to use it as a versatile single dive lens to replace the 18-55 kit. It would fit into a Port 72 with a 30mm mini extension, but because it's not an internal focus lens, the port design just wouldn't cover it's AOV range.  Nauticam would have had to build a fairly huge and wide custom port to do what Port 72 does for the S18-55. I finally accepted it just wasn't going to happen. Now that the NEX system is maturing for UW use, perhaps someday Nauticam willl build a semi-dome port with a swing diopter mount to work with this lens, but I doubt it.

The NEX 7 housing is fantastic with it's Tri-Nav controls.  It's been a long wait, but lens are finally starting to appear for us loyal NEX users.  I'm hoping to use the Z50 macro in my Port 72 with some modifications because I still love the 18-55 single dive  versatility, just not it's IQ, even though it's not terrible and I've gotten by with it.  

#23 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

Support for SEL1670Z Vario Tessar T E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS is available.

Attached Images

• nauticam_com_images_catalog_catalog_18_pdf.jpg

Edited by Ryan, 14 May 2014 - 08:57 AM.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#24 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

The latest update I have from Zeiss here is that 50mm should start shipping next week, but in limited quantities.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#25 Marsh

Marsh

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Ryan,

Hey, it pays to read these forums. Wow, a port for the Z16-70. Way to go Nauticam.  I'll check it out :-)

Thanks for the update!

Marsh

#26 Marsh

Marsh

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

I'm seriously thinking of getting the Z50 Touit. Given it and the S16-50 kit use the same Macro 45 port (+the 30mm extension) I'm wondering if the IQ on the S16-50 is any better than the S18-55?  I've read articles in both directions, all stating neither lens are really very good, both being quite soft in the corners with loads of CA. 

I don't do much extreme WA (as much as the Z12 wets my dreams :-). It's been suggested to try the Z24 in my 4.33 dome (rarely used for video w/ S16 & WE/FE converters) or the more versatile Z16-70, both giving me better IQ and similar AOV as the short end of the kit in a flat port.  However, after checking out the new Zeiss 16-70 set-up Ryan showed me above, it won't replace the kit's single dive versatility since it uses the 7" dome. I was hoping it was a bigger version of Port 72 when I first saw the drawing. LOL.

Any other creative ideas on lens and port use perhaps with other manufacturers? It's hard to stay up on all this stuff as much as I try. 

Trying to keep a lightweight travel system from growing and not have to plan another bank job :-) LOL

Anyone have any photo shots of the Z24 and S16-50 kit lens or any opinions on them.  I won't be diving for another 9 months or so, so there's time to sort things out and see the lens tests and UW results from the Z50 Touit. 

Thanks,

Marsh

#27 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

great

Mark K

#28 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:16 AM

Seriously, there's an $800 or 46% discount on the Zeiss Touit 12mm F2.8 + Touit 32mm F1.8 two-lens kit right now. Just ordered mine - can't wait!

Zeiss Touit 12mm is one sharp lens underwater according to Reef photo review: http://www.reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=63

#29 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

You forgot to mention there is a $50 off A6000 body discount going on. Too bad I have my heart set for the Panasonic GH4 since I'm more of a video person. Enjoy your A6000!

#30 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

Thanks

Placed an order for twin Touit lens offer from B&H but too late to tried them out this afternoon. These two lenses do not have in lens SSM motors so focusing is very noising and much less smoother than the Sony 35 f1.8 and Sony 10-18 UWA zoom. 

Mark K

#31 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the information about the two lens deal.

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#32 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

Did a side-by-side comparison between the Zeiss 12mm and the Sony 10-18mm above water. Not surprisingly the Zeiss 12mm F2.8 being a prime has sharper corners than the 10-18mm @ 12mm F4. For pixel peepers who don't mind noisy AF, the Zeiss 12mm is a great choice. Since the Sony 10-18mm has silent autofocus, smoother video AF performance, noticeably wider FOV, and Optical SteadyShot, it's a more useful lens overall and definitely a better video lens IMO.

The Zeiss 32mm F1.8 is also very good optically just like the 12mm, and its AF is also noisy just like the 12mm - perfect for photography or shooting video without AF. For video overall, the Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS is a better choise IMO.

#33 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:06 AM

Seriously, there's an $800 or 46% discount on the Zeiss Touit 12mm F2.8 + Touit 32mm F1.8 two-lens kit right now. Just ordered mine - can't wait!

Zeiss Touit 12mm is one sharp lens underwater according to Reef photo review: http://www.reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=63

Just bought these lenses. Onland they are great working primes but underwater I have doubt

Mark K

#34 Colin Snow

Colin Snow

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Has anyone shot video with an a6000?  I read there is a dedicated underwater white balance setting on the a6000 and was curious if anyone has used that setting to shoot video and can point me to results.

I currently have NEX-5N in Nauticam and hate the NEX-5N white balance problem. I don't want start from ground zero, so I am looking at this camera body (and it corresponding Nauticam).  

#35 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

I think the nex white balance problem is the same of the rx100 white balance problem and probably the same of the alpha problem? I would be curious to know if any sony can white balance properly underwater!!!

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#36 Colin Snow

Colin Snow

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

They have in the past. I had a Cyber-shot DSC-WX1 that had an UW setting.  It took pretty good color balanced video, but sadly only 720p.  

See video http://youtu.be/jFsR-oonTyQ

#37 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

They have in the past. I had a Cyber-shot DSC-WX1 that had an UW setting.  It took pretty good color balanced video, but sadly only 720p.  

See video 

You can achieve that with awb setting a magenta tint
Custom white balance is different and would be helpful to eliminate the need of a filter and gain 1 stop

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#38 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

NEX-5R CWB underwater!

#39 Colin Snow

Colin Snow

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

Thanks A.Y.  I saw that one and have yet to try it.  I wondered if a brown colored slate would work as well. I have heard some say a grey slate works too.  

I am still curious though if anyone has tried the A6000 UW setting.

#40 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

NEX-5R CWB underwater!

Balancing like that doesn't give an error but doesn't give correct colours either

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog