• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:18 PM

So trying to further understand and use FCPX to the fullest and extract as much from my videos as possible.

As with any 8 Bit 4:2:0 video - you really need to nail the white balance at point of capture to get the best results - if you want to tweak it in post after - this point I understand and appreciate.

So with that in mind I have the Amphibico white balance slate, so I can set MWB throughout the dive when changing depths, or if using my Keldans I can just set the temp on the camera to match.

What I would like to ask, is how to use the colour chart part of the slate in post?

So within a scene, show the color chart for a few seconds at the beginning and then continue to film. Once back in front of FCPX - use some sort of colour picker to say 'This is Red, this is Blue' this is Yellow' type thing? Is that possible?

Thanks

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:26 AM

I once installed (and remove FCPx) as far as I remember it had a 3 level wheel adjustment you would have

Grey

White

Black

Use the grey for white balance and white and black to correct those levels (you should have smaller parts of your slate with white and black?)

I do not recall there was anything to correct the colours as those would depend on the above grey level?

Adobe premiere (another product installed tried and removed) had a similar technique

I sometimes move the RGB gains more to look for a specific color render than to look for an accurate color (not sure if I explain myself here but hopefully you get the geist?)

Actually I went back to my memories FCPx has removed the 3 way wheel correction and is now essentially like the old versions of iMovie (that have also got worse) hence I removed it

Adobe premiere will have the system I mentioned above if you use a PC

This may be of interest for you http://digitalfilms....grading/page/2/

Edited by Interceptor121, 04 April 2014 - 01:37 AM.

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

Yeah, I get a feeling its going to be a Paid plugin I'll be needing for FCPX ,but if it does the job, then fair enough...

I've got Premier Pro CC (and all the other apps - via my Adobe CC subscription) - but actually never touch / installed it.

Thinking along the lines of the 'Replace Color' feature within Photoshop, where you could adjust  individual colors.

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:01 AM

Feel free to send me any license code for photoshop as am not planning to spend £600+ LOL

At the time I thought FCPx added nothing to iMovie in that regard and deleted it. Now iMovie has got worse so it may be worth. Who says upgrades are for better?

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 Rui_Guerra

Rui_Guerra

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:06 AM

Hi Thetrickster

Yes, there is a way to correct WB in FCPX. You can use a free plug in named RT Color Balance or you can do it without the plug in:

Cheers

Rui Guerra
Underwater Photography
http://www.photoguerra.net

#6 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

So trying to further understand and use FCPX to the fullest and extract as much from my videos as possible.

As with any 8 Bit 4:2:0 video - you really need to nail the white balance at point of capture to get the best results - if you want to tweak it in post after - this point I understand and appreciate.

So with that in mind I have the Amphibico white balance slate, so I can set MWB throughout the dive when changing depths, or if using my Keldans I can just set the temp on the camera to match.

What I would like to ask, is how to use the colour chart part of the slate in post?

So within a scene, show the color chart for a few seconds at the beginning and then continue to film. Once back in front of FCPX - use some sort of colour picker to say 'This is Red, this is Blue' this is Yellow' type thing? Is that possible?

Thanks

I'd personally suggest you ditch FCP and switch to Adobe CC, you then have a heap of options for colour correction (and everything else)

- Premier: have a look in the Effects window, there's a folder purely for colour balance and correction with a load of tools. I tend to use Fast Color Corrector and Color Balancer the most, but there's also other effects e.g Curves, Channel Mixer etc, depending on how your brain works and what you're trying to do (replace colours is also there). If you want to get really clever you can use adjustment layers to nest corrections and effects. If you're corrections are going to be relatively simple, then I'd stick with Premier.

- After Effects: much the same as Premier, with pretty much the same options, you can apply effects to clips to correct colour, AE Projects can also be nested directly into a Premier timeline (i.e. you dont have to adjust and export, and so wont get a quality hit from unnecessary transcodes.). After Effects is a bit of a beast, capable of doing lots of very funky things (that's about as far as my knowledge on it goes, my business partner has the brains in that area ;)), whilst colour grading is one of the things it can do, I'd say it's probably akin to the sledgehammer opening the walnut

- Speed Grade : this is a great application, very powerful, although you can get lost in it pretty quickly! Loads of tools within it to help you get the colour of a clip as you want it, and then match the look with other clips. You can import premier sequences directly into SpeedGrade, so again there's no need to do multiple trandscodes, you'll also only be grading the clips that have made it into the edit (http://helpx.adobe.c...e_reference.pdf)

In terms of method of work, if you can be disciplined enough to slate each and every shot at the start then you'll have a pretty simple way of colour matching the clips to a reasonably good base level (however even then the clips would need a bit of a tweak to match them up). However in reality, it's unlikely that that's going to happen, and the chart is only useful as a reference tool if the colour balance hasn't changed since you last slated the shot... which can happen with each passing cloud, or each time you turn around. I personally I wouldn't bother, just be disciplined with the white balance to get it as close as possible to the look you want (I tend to stick at 5500 kelvin to match my lights), and then use the scopes and your eyes in SpeedGrade to do adjust the actual part of the clip that's made it into the edit.

Edited by Stuart Keasley, 04 April 2014 - 08:03 AM.

Visit bottlefish.net for my personal web site.
Visit Black Flag TV Ltd if you'd like to hire me or any of our cameras.

#7 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

The FCPX basically merges the three color wheels into one smart interface, showing precisely the relative positions of the Hi, Mid, and Shadows controls in one place on the spectrum. The new interface makes color correction easier and faster once a person understands how to use it. Personally, I'll never go back to the dated color wheel interface.

fcpx-cc.jpg

In the sample above, the objective is to get rid of the red/magenta cast in the shadow areas while maintaining the mid and highlight colors:

1. Adjust the Exposure.

2. Move the Color Shadows puck sideway to the red/magenta area and then down to decrease the unwanted cast.

3. Move the Color Midtones puck sideway to the same color area and then up to bring back some of the red/magenta in the midtones.

4. Fine tune the colors.

It's that simple and quick!

I'd tested the above clip with the free RT Color Balance plugin and the $49 FxFactory Cineflare WB plugin, FCPX got the job done much faster.

BTW, in the "RT Color Balance plugin" YouTube video above, the guy should've moved the FCPX buildin Color Highlights puck sideway to the yellow/orange area and then down to fully decrease the tungsten cast on the white card in one shot.

Edited by A.Y., 12 July 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#8 OmahGili

OmahGili

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Videographi

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

still need to learn about FCP and color corecting in fcp

don't dream your live, but live your dream....... 

#9 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

The BBC has chosen Final Cut Pro X as its NLE for news editing.