Photo
- - - - -

Going from S100 to M43, signifigant upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

I think the op

Ok guys, the original poster specifically asked about the 8mm FE on a PEN housing with precision dome.

Now, let's compare the size weight of a PEN housing with the precision dome and what ever RX100 housing you chose with the necessary add on lens to get you to equivalent FE view.  I don't have those numbers, but based on my experience with the Inon 165AD I'd be willing to bet there's barely a scintilla of difference in size & weight.

And what about the optical performance of the compact camera lens and then going through a flat port, then an add on lens.

As opposed to a dedicated FE lens and port.  That's what he asked about.

I gave my EXPERIENCE with the ZEN semi dome which works well for some of other lens.

It would be nice if someone gave actual experience of the precision dome with the 8mm on the PEN housing.

Interceptor in your list of weights, what is the weight with an add on FE lens?

I did not include the cameras themselves as otherwise the situation changes

The op is talking about a Canon S100 if you add the camera and the best lens for this camera (UWL-04) you end up at 1 Kg + 200 grams + 660 grams = 1880 grams

Olympus EM1 1.8 Kg as before plus camera + lens + dome = 1.8 Kg + 500 grams + 165 grams + Zen dome not known but is glass would assume 400 grams at least = 2850 grams

Still 1 Kg difference. 

If you change both housings to plastics the difference should be a bit more

The additional bulk though is relative to what you want to sustain. I notice the op mentioned the EPL2/3 I would look first at image quality comparisons with the S100 on land

Also if you shoot a fisheye you are going to need two strobes likewise if he was adding a wet lens

There is no doubt that the OMD-E5  or E1 trash the S100 but the EPL2/3 mentioned are now 4 years old 

There is an Olympus housing of the E1 that costs less than Nauticam and maybe takes the zen dome if you don't want to invest in metal

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#22 gargar

gargar

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

All good info.  thanks guys.  At this point i'm thinking i'll just stick with my S100.