• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

I don't have any experience from the Maldives, so I need some advice. Thinking about bringing my family in the last week of October, when the kids have a school break. Good or bad idea? Shoulder season? Lousy weather?

We'll have to resort to a resort. So what would be our best choice atoll-wise, or even resort/island-specific, at that time and to fit our needs?

The plan is to get my two girls soon-to-be 10 and 12 Jr-certified, do a photo-story about it and have fun together. They've been to Marsa Shagra/Red Sea a couple of times and tried a little scuba there last summer (bubblemaker?). They've been snorkeling in Thailand too/Andaman Sea and are fairlystrong swimmers for their age.

We'd need a place with a great and easily accesible house reef, plus a photo friendly DC. Does it excist? Or are all hose reefs beaten up and El Ninjoed? Advice is welcome.

cheers

Edited by Christian K, 08 April 2014 - 05:55 AM.

#2 pooley

pooley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

The time of year you are going it nearing the end of the southwestern monsoon season, so you will more than likely have to expect some rain showers. they are mixed with fantastic sunshine though!

Take quite a bit of time choosing your island. I've done 3 trips to kuredu in the Lhaviyani atoll, and now have mixed thoughts on whether I'll go back as it is now becoming quite a developed island, wi-fi in places, satellite TV showing big football matches a choice of restaurants, and a little bit of life at night are all there, combined with the possibility to find your own part of the Island to almost totally escape to. Taking 2 kids, that may be a positive, but you do lose some of the 'Robinson Crusoe' feel. 

Most islands however are far more low key, and there is less to do - it all comes down to what you want.

Kuredu does have an excellent dive centre though - www.prodivers.com and while the house reef is not immaculate, it is calm and hosts the usual suspects, and there are some superb dive sites close by, including the caves at the rear of the island where there is a green turtle colony which is always fun to do.

The dive centre is very photo friendly, and if you can get a day away from the newly qualified kids, there are some good photo sites available, for example Fushivaru Thila (manta cleaning station) should be entering season

Edited by pooley, 08 April 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#3 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

Thank's for the advice. I know of Kuredu and it is certainly one of the islands I have looked on it has a very good rep. diving wise in Scandinavia (where I'm from). However as you indicate, the house reef might not be on par with the best in the Maldives. And that rules it out. Have you visited any other islands?
Maldives seems to be a place which it's really hard to find a general consensus on.
In a broader sense, are there any differences between the atolls, diving wise? Or are they all more or less the same? My wife went to Kaninfinolhu in N Male 25 years ago and have always raved about how good it was (only surpassed by Sipadan and the Sudanese Red Sea according to her). Now I understand the 98 El Nino took its toll and that still today, it's not what it was. But some areas were less affected and coral can grow pretty fast under ideal circumstances...

Edited by Christian K, 08 April 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#4 pooley

pooley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:24 AM

I've only been to Kuredu unfortunately. The house reef is by no means a disaster, you always dive it the same way from the jetty heading east, and the further away from the jetty you are, the nicer it is, but from speaking to other divers, other house reefs are better. Kuredu's sister island is Komandoo which is much more basic in its land ameneties but has a really nice house reef.

Again, from other divers, there are no real quality differences within the atolls, but research which side of the atoll you want to be on as this can affect where certain fish are best found in the different monsoon seasons

#5 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

The resort wasn't smart, but my daughter trained on the house reef on Eriyadu, and it was pretty good for first dives a few years ago. The German dive centre and instructors were very good, too.

#6 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:10 AM

Thank's Tim. Will google that island. Have you been to any other resorts in the same or other atolls? Would you mind to give a brief comparison?

cheets

#7 bear35

bear35

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

Hi,

This is the Maldivian summer. The effect of the season change on diving is dramatic. From November onwards the currents begin to flow from the northeast, visibility is superb and there is lots of action in the channels and thilas on the eastern side of the atolls from the sharks and other pelagic species.

Currents tend to be stronger in January and then ease as we move into February. From February the waters calm down and the surface of the sea is undisturbed by any major wind or wave action. The doldrums continue through March and April with easy diving and slack currents. The end of May generally sees the change of monsoon season back to the southwest.

Throughout the northeast season, pelagic species such as shark and jacks are to be found on the current points on the eastern side of the atoll. In addition, there is usually a cornucopia of reef life. Manta rays and whale sharks, however, will only really be found on the west side during the northeast season.

I have been to the Maldives 9 times and it does pay to do your homework. I can tell you with the resorts you get what you pay for…… I have not been there Oct/Nov but look at the advice above for when you decide to go, look at a map to see the resorts in the right areas. 

Hope this helps a little

#8 Barry Field

Barry Field

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

Hi, I have just returned from Constance Moofushi (3rd visit) can thoroughly recommend the Island and The Dive School Blue Tribe. We travelled with our Daughters 8 and 15 who did Bubbles and AOW respectively

Dive sites are amazing being on the West Side of South Ari Atoll is one of the best locations offering Channels, thilas and Kandus.

We have noticed on the West Side of the Atollndome of The Manta cleaning stations now have resident Mantas rather than those that migrate to to the East side as the Monsoon Changes.

Let me know if you need any further help you can pay as MUCH or as little as you want and have a vast array of Islands to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

#9 Barry Field

Barry Field

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

hyduhygy.jpg

Aside to the 4/5 and 6 star hotels there are some cheaper options without going liveaboard. This operation has access to some of the best diving in one of the most untouched atolls and is Maldivian / Italian owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

#10 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

Thanks guys!